I love their versatility, the way you can browse through, buffet-style, and find just the right thing to suit your mood: tired and skittish? Flick the pages and nibble the headlines. Right brain muscling in on the left? Enjoy the illustrations, the photos, let your discerning eye roam around the typesetting. Settled and thoughtful? Roll up your sleeves, fold back the cover and tuck into the feature editorial. Magazines are like that: skilfully designed to suit your fickle psyche and busy modern lifestyle.
My enthusiasm for magazines is thoroughly frustrated, however, by the choices available. I enjoy New Scientist from time to time, and before I lost my taste for cricket I could often be spotted trotting down the street with a copy of Inside Edge* tucked under my arm. It's a rare thing, though, if I step into a newsagent and find a rag that tempts me remotely. I have as much interest in the dizzying highs and gut-wrenching lows in the lives of the glitterati as I have in eating shards of glass. My need to be informed of which must-have garment is the new black this season is limited only to ensuring that I don't inadvertently wear one. Cross-stitching; dog breeding; being a beautiful bride; making furniture out of matchsticks; the latest plot by the CIA and their aliens cohorts to suppress the perpetual motion machine/cure for cancer - nup! They don't ring this gal's bell. So I'm in the strange position of running a magazine but not actually reading any.
Or I was until about a year ago.
For it was, gentle reader, around that time that I first stepped up to a fluoro-vested chap in Adelaide Street and exchanged $3 for a copy of The Big Issue. Have you ever read it? You really should. It's just like a magazine, but good. Printed on a flat stock, the layout is stylish and friendly and manages to avoid the self-consciously cool look I find faintly embarrassing in more pretentious publications. They employ illustrators, too; real, live artists, who use actual paints and inks, giving it an earthy humanity. No look-Mum-I-can-use-Illustrator graphics here. And the articles are fabulous! Witty, clever, well-crafted, socially conscious, intelligent and funny. Do you ever wonder what the delicious Helen Razer is doing these days? (Well, I'm not going to tell you - shell out $3 and find out.)
The Big Issue "provides people experiencing a range of disadvantages with an immediate opportunity to work, earn an income and rebuild their lives so that they can participate in a positive way in community life". The magazine is sold by people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, thereby providing them with a means to generate an income; the entire operation was founded specifically to assist people in this situation make genuinely positive changes in their lives that would otherwise have been extremely difficult.
A dear friend of mine - who is a cynical prick - asked me once if I bought The Big Issuefor any reason other than guilt. While I could see the point he was making, it fairly got up my nose. This is not about treating someone like a pathetic charity case, giving them a shiny bauble so you sleep better at night. There is so much more to gain from employment than money: social contact; satisfaction; personal development; stimulation; dignity; self-esteem; developing and maintaining skills. In our culture your job is your identity. That The Big Issue has recognised this, and is doing something so positive about it, is only to be applauded. And supported, more to the point.
It comes out fortnightly - buy yourself a copy. In fact, buy two, and give one away to help spread the word. And if it relieves some of the guilt you feel as you rack up another designer garment on your fifth credit card, then that's a bonus, isn't it?
*Inside Edge, I'm ashamed to tell you, is the New Idea of cricket mags. It's horrid.
3 comments:
As usual I'm wondering several things:
(1) How is it that I managed to fluke out and find this blog (and the person who writes it) by clicking on the "Next Blog>>" button?
(2) Why aren't you actually published *in* a magazine, and have you tried, because you kick ass...
(3) Why the hell am I the only person who comments? Are all your friends/colleagues armless, or is commenting in a blog in Aus considered gauche? If so, smarten up, eh?
I am seriously on the verge of proposing marriage here.
1) Well, I do wonder along with you. Thanks for lobbing in, though.
2) I actually am the editor of a bimonthly magazine, albeit one with a circulation of only about 1000. I write articles for it, but boring ones, and only under protest. Now that I'm leaving the job I'm kicking myself for not having set myself up with a regular editor's column to have some fun with. I didn't have the confidence to do it until now. Ce la vie, mon cherie.
I guess that writing this sort of thing for an income is a bit of a goal, but a longer-term one. Doing it now hadn't even entered my mind, so a big thanks for the vote of confidence. I started this blog as an exercise in writing finished articles on a regular basis and getting feedback, so I guess it's panning out well on that score. I'm really enjoying it.
3) Big disappointment on this score. I can only guess that the friends who claim to read this a) are lying, b) think it sucks, c) don't love me at all, d) are completely immune to guilt trips. I'm leaving the country to get away from them all.
Yeah, as you said: smarten up people! Help me out here!
Thanks, Tim. You're the best.
I'm the first to admit that it's kind of unusual to just drift randomly into someone's blog and posting all sorts of commentary. The thing is, I continue to browse blogs with the hopes of coming across more of the same quality as this one, and they just don't exist in a significant quantity. There are a few others, and I follow those as well, but they are truly the exception to the disappointing rule. SO MANY are just people describing the most incredibly mundane or parochial crap, with absolutley no insight or flair. It's depressing, frankly -- but then again I should really not be surprised.
So, your writing absolutely grabbed my interest right off the bat -- I believe it was the rant about advertising in Australia that just killed me. You just don't see that kind of humourous-yet-insightful writing very often in blogs -- except among the published writers and columnists -- and so your blog was a keeper from that point onward.
Post a Comment