Plumb bob. Post-hole digger. Circular saw. Triple grip. V-joint. Paint roller. Footings. Noggings. Spoken aloud these words will draw the renovators out of the crowd as helplessly as a moth to a bulb on a summer’s night. I tell you this with confidence because I am one of them.
My own residential labour of love was completed over a decade ago – insofar as they are ever complete – yet still I find the tang of fresh-sawn timber compelling. For eighteen obsessive months my beloved and I hacked and ripped at our little cottage. To say it was plain would be to indulge in the crudest of understatements: a butt-ugly eyesore is somewhat closer to reality. But to the soul possessed of enough imagination to see past the 70’s alterations – executed with all the sensitivity of a pig-shoot – it was a gem.
Slowly we lifted away the layers hiding our tiny home, and with that stepped into our local history. Thick skins of pink enamel paint peeled to reveal handcrafted brass fittings and silky oak frames. The reward for evicting the grimy nylon carpet and its vibrant flea community was a weave of satinay flooring in red, auburn and gold. In the kitchen the brittle and waxy lino held a prize altogether different: a lining of the local newspaper, The Chronicle, from the early 20’s, which occupied my evenings for weeks. Particularly revealing in its pages was the monthly "Vermin Count", which tallied the number of kills for troublesome rats, dingoes and "natives". (Yes, I’m quite serious.)
The traditional architectural style of Queensland is quite distinct. Evolving in the pre-airconditioned era, its aim was to maximise airflow and minimise heat retention, and to do so with frilly Victorian grace. The verandahs are wide. The windows are hooded. The walls a single skin of tongue-and-groove boards. Intricate fretwork panels above the doorways allow the air to move about freely.* Being perched high on poles makes a cool retreat underneath in the heat of the day – and somewhere to hang the laundry during a tropical downpour. In restoring our cottage I was single-minded in remaining faithful to this heritage. This architecture is a strong part of our culture and one of the few unique things we have; I hold it in a passionate reverence. So, naturally, the smile came readily to my face when our neighbours began giving their modest weatherboard shack some attention.
It’s not the first work they’ve done around the house; what they’ve done until now is perfectly agreeable, so I have every faith that their hours with the power tools will make our suburb a better place to be. My enthusiasm for their project waned, however, when I was woken by hammering on Wednesday at 6:05 am. Then 6:15 am Thursday. Then 6:08 Friday. Then 6:20 Saturday. Curiously enough, my sixty-plus hour working week has dropped cultural integrity to the bottom of my list of priorities.
* And the noise, too, for that matter. Amorous activity is a public affair in a share house in this city.
28 November 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Noggings -- not familiar with that one.
I too love the smell of freshly cut lumber. I once co-owned and operated a mobile milling company, and the wood we cut most of the time was yellow cedar, which has a subtle but pleasant fragrance. I loved working with wood so much, I even toyed with the idea of becoming a cabinetmaker. Instead I went to law school because it promised more, and has ended up delivering nothing. I still like to build stuff.
Might I suggest a friendly note to the neighbours in the letterbox? Hammering at 6 a.m. might even be against the local noise bylaw -- although it doesn't appear there is one in Brisbane.
A nogging is a short horizontal piece within the frame work of a house. They're wedged between the longer verticals to help keep them in place, and also provide a useful platform for cockroaches and rats to nest on in the wall cavity (in my experience.)
One of my favorite local timbers is also a cedar, but the red variety. (Probably not actually a cedar at all.) It's actually a bit difficult to work with, given that the sawdust it gives off is peppery and irritating. The price of a beautiful piece of timber work is streaming eyes and nose, and a two-hour sneezing fit. It's worth it.
As for the neighbours, I've just been putting off that conversation. They seem quite reasonable, so I'm sure they'd be fine with it. I'm just feeling sooky. The regulations state 6:30 am for building, 7 am for house maintainance, so it's a bit ambiguous. I'm leaning towards 7 am, needless to say.
Update: The neighbours obviously read this blog ...but then, who doesn't? I'm pleased to tell you that I haven't been woken by the sounds of industry since I made this post.
Post a Comment