
Photo from Tourism Victoria
Sadly, the mountains had modestly drawn their rainy skirts around themselves and were nowhere to be seen. There was a generous serving of compensation to be had, though, thanks to thirteen men standing around a field dressed in cream cable-knit jumpers. I speak, of course, of cricket.
Cricket has drawn my interest since I was very young, but in recent years my favour has wavered, largely due to the ridiculous posturing and cranky-making ego-stroking involved in the professional game. The match today was a reminder of the beauty to be found in grown men idly tonking a block of cork around a paddock.
Soon after I sat down to watch the players left the field, prompting me to turn to the only other occupant of the bench and ask if that was the match over, or simply the innings. He turned to me, pulled the cigar from his lips and said in a sleepy Ontario drawl, "This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I don' know what they're doin'! How long do they usually play for, anyways?" I broke it to him as gently as I could that matches can go on for up to five days, but that I doubted we'd see such stamina here today. Realising that he had someone on hand to interpret the strange on-field to-ings and fro-ings he asked me a bit about the game, all of which I imparted happily, albeit mindful that my enthusiasm would not likely be matched. I explained why they were rubbing sweat on the ball and each grinding it into their groins in turn, and how that affects swing. He also went away with an understanding of why the seats looking down the pitch give a better view of the game, and how to tell if you're watching a decent bowler or batsman. I stopped before he looked too bored.

Victoria Cricket Club
When the players returned to the field -- it had been the end of the innings, after all -- it was clear that there was a lot of love for the game out there. Being a marginal sport here in Canada, the team was of mixed ages and abilities, with the older, more experienced players instructing and encouraging upcoming players along the way. Although we saw some very keen bowling as the overs rolled on, it was without the obnoxious strutting bravado I've come to find so infuriating when watching on the box. These men were not there to feed their fragile egos, but to play for the joy of playing well, and enhance that pleasure by sharing it with others. In short, they played like a team. And isn't that what cricket's all about?
8 comments:
You're a generous soul aren't you. to be moving on. 'share the love'..
Well, when it comes to cricket in North America, I fancy I'm one of the most knowledgable people on the continent. How could I possibly not share the immeasurable pleasure of the tonk?
and I thought cricket was about running into the clothesline in the backyard... !
Oh, did I not mention the Hills hoist and blue cattle dog on the pitch?
Hi suzanne - love your profile etc. gave me more than a giggle or two.
Big hugs - Fiona XXX
The scarf is keeping me warm:)
Heeeeeeeeeey, Fiona! Great to hear from you! (I'm wearing the odd homemade scarf myself here.)
What are you doing now? Where are you? I miss you. I wish I could have selected a couple of people from Brisbane to bring with me to Melbourne, you being one of them. The footy season is hotting up. Unbelievably I am beginning to know what I am talking about. Footy is the universal laungauge. If you can't speak it there is no communication!
XX Fiona
Oh, how fabulous are you?! You're missed too, Ms Tunley, make no mistake. London right now, funny old place that it is. So, the big question... do you have an AFL team?
Post a Comment