7 April 2005

Canadianity 101

A couple of points of Canadianity that I'd like to share with non-Canuck readers.

1) Cheese: Have I mentioned this here before? The topic was rarely off my lips when I first arrived. Sadly, variation in individual monitors' colour reproduction being what it is, the picture you're viewing may not have the same flourescent impact that it has in real life, but let's share the spectacle anyway.

Good grief, and people eat this!

Do not adjust your monitor


There you have it. For some reason -- and one that I'm very curious indeed to learn -- the cheddar cheese here is dyed a shade of orange deemed in other countries to be better suited to safety equipment than foodstuffs. The example shown here is a very popular variation known as "marble", which is ideal for those whose lunch is enhanced by thoughts of psoriasis.

2) Log Booms: It was a morning of Canadian cliches: after a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and syrup, my host and I walked in the howling wind down to the water and watched a log boom crawling around Clover Point and then headed in to the warmth of the local coffee shop for a 4 litre mug of thin milky coffee.

Log boom

Boom Boom


Apparently this is not that common a sight around here, although given how few of us were taking any notice of it whatsoever, it's probably not that exceptional, either.

For the unenlightened, a log boom is a chain of logs surrounding or corralling a quantity of loose logs, then towed by way of small tug boats. Granted, this doesn't sound like the kind of sight you'd run, Playtex Sale Time-style, down the street to see, but I have to tell you that it's quite impressive. This thing was huge. Massive. Real big.

Booms break apart from time to time, and as a consequence the beaches here are littered with driftwood of a somewhat larger scale than I've seen before.

For a look at the entire boom shot click here.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree that log booms are not common in Victoria, but they are common as nearby as Duncan, so most locals (like myself) have probably seen one while travelling up-island. Probably the nonchalance stems from watching years of Beachcombers episodes.

As for the marble cheese and the cheese colouring in general, according to www.cheese.ca, "Cheddars are basically white in colour. Orange cheddars have a natural colouring, similar to a ground carrot seed, added to them."

Tim Bailey said...

The Orange Cheese Conundrum: Thanks to the trusty Cecil Adams, we have a historical answer: stupid English cheesemakers.

I think that's the answer to a lot of conundrums, actually.

Mrs Robot said...

Hmmm. So, one can only assume that Australian grass has naturally -- and uniformly -- low levels of betacarotene, then? Well, well, well. Does this make the witches-hat-orange cheese more palatable? No it does not.

Thanks once again, Super Genius, for yet another mystery solved.

Mrs Robot said...

"Witches' Hats". Yet another colloquialism for which I must apologise. I'm referring to the plastic cheddar-coloured conical devices utilised around roadworks to demarcate the area in which motorists or pedestrians should not stray. What are they called here? Brie barriers? Parmesan points? Gouda guards? Emmentaler excluders? Crottin de Chavignol cones?

miss wendy said...

my goodness.. there's a girl with a lot of time on her hands!- the logs are impressive.. neva seen anything like that in the brisbane river- just a couple of plastic bags.and some algae bloom.. although you know, I had a friend from Alice Springs visit recently ( you know the 'red centre'.. where Ullaru is.. prevuiosly known as ayers rock) and she LOVED the river walk.. the floating walkway under the Bridge and all the lights reflecting into the water.. the Paddle steamer went by while we were there also.. I have to say it opened my eyes to the beauty at my doorstep.. W)

Mrs Robot said...

Time on my hands -- it's very true, but only for another week or so.

You're referring to the new boardwalk they put in over Newfarm way? I meant to check that out before I left but never did. *sigh* Lovely Brisbane.

Unknown said...

In this chunk of the Commonwealth we call conical devices utilised around roadworks "cones."

miss wendy said...

In popluar subculture jargon within my work in detoxification of, and rehabilitation from, over use of mood altering subsatnces and behaviours...'cone' refers to the receptical at the working end of the well known 'bong' (home constructed water pipe to inhale the smoke of burning illicit subsantces- often also the expanation for many missing pieces of neighborhood garden hose).. it's all semantics to me, x ;)

eXTReMe Tracker