This thought is not original, but I think it bears repeating, nonetheless.
Ultimately, each of us is alone.
This may seem like a maudlin statement; an indication, perhaps, that this particular cork is bobbing on an especially cold and empty ocean at present. Not so, on both counts.
The recognition of this autonomy can be a moment for celebration, a liberation. In accepting that you are a discreet unit you not only sever the bonds that bring comfort, support and safety, but also those responsible for your misery, your dependence. Your situation is your doing! And the wonderful thing about that reality is that your behaviour and choices are the only ones you can have any hope of changing; the one person in your life with any real influence is entirely within your control.
Do you grind your teeth over a particular relationship in your life? You are free to make the conscious choice to break the patterns within it -- change your own behaviour, your pat responses, or decide to disengage from the situation. You can, you know. Social life dissatisfying? Spending too much time with people who drain your spirit and suck you dry? Well, stop bitching, get off your corpulent posterior and do something about it. Try something new, take a risk -- hell, you might even enjoy it! And if you don't it's hardly a disaster. Just try something else instead. Just do something. Anything. Move forward. Take some responsibility for yourself, because snivelling about how unfair life is or what a bad hand you've been dealt or how much better everyone else has it is not going to do anything other than bore the people around you witless.
Exciting, isn't it? I think so.
I write this a little over a week away from catapaulting myself back around the globe to the UK -- alone. When I made this decision recently I was immediately gripped with a nauseous terror because, obviously, I'll never meet anyone and I'll never find a good job there and I'll end up living in a horrid city and I'll be desperately lonely and I'll be poor and Britain's so expensive and... and... and... and........absolute dribble, of course. Where I am is a result of my careful planning and hard work. Completely my own doing. I specifically chose to put myself in this situation, and I'm beginning to remember why: to feel the thrill of panic crushing my chest and -- drawing a deep, bracing breath -- love it.
Care to join me?
10 April 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Whatever our choices are I absoultely reserve my right to bore others witless with my emotions (and long blog comments)and will support you do so also.. until I slink off after I've ahd enough .. but the trick is to SHARE the screetchy, whiny, salty bits so's we all get heard.. You know being a cousnelor means i HAVE to support the right to feel-even publicly- I think emotions are just like lots of other body functions..
not necessarily to be shared with everyone but they need to be operational to stay well.
So just 'feel the fear and do it anyway'.. go on off you go!- 'just do it' .. I have always found this sorts of advise so helpful, just bucks me up and makes me realize no one gives a shit so may as well get on with it!- I just don't think we ge tso differrent from out child selves.. and anyone who's seen a child be thrwarted or fall over knows full well how expressive those little beings can be but then they move on.. If all the children who told me they hated me really did hate me I'd be a dead woman. ! So lets just be supportive of those feelings as we push each other firmly forward out of the comfort zone into risk taking! Goodness otherwise I'll be out of work and all those addicts I've worked with will just 'Say No!' and be done with it!!- loads of true lurve and suport to you Ms S.. you are missed.
Oh, quite so, Miss Wendy. I certainly acknowledge the importance of having a good hearty bleat from time to time; my point is, really, that there comes a time when it ceases to be helpful, and action is what's required to move things along. Talking around and around and around in circles and not doing a damn thing to fix it is an easy trap to fall into, I find. Sometimes a good deal of talking is part of the lead up to a plan of action, though. Maintaining a balance is the key here, obviously.
I guess I'm just reminding myself that so much of this is within our own control, and that that's a good thing.
I think your job is safe for the time being, W, you lovely thing, you. ;D
Hey i was on my way to bed.. but.. I just was browsing the Asheleigh brilliant website and saw a great little 'potshot' for you in your caring role presently. \
"If you must keep groaning please do it in a rhythm i can dance to"
Post a Comment