I've lived all over Australia, but have spent most of my years in South East Queensland. It's not quite the tropics, but what the locals try to pass off as winter there is an enviable summer in many other parts of the world. What I'm getting at in my round-about way is that cold weather behaviour is something I need to concentrate on to get right.
I didn't realise how much about the art of staying warm I'd forgotten, as is evident by the contents of my backpack. The cut and weave of the clothes worn in Queensland render them as good as useless in anything under 15C. To wit: I have four t-shirts with me; only one of them will stay tucked in -- if I don't move around much. Another comes close, but is laughably thin. The other two are boarding a flight to poly/cotton paradise before I leave this city.
You'd expect my body to be grateful for my relieving it of the burden of having to lift its limbs and produce sweat in such prolific volume in the tropical conditions. That assumption would be quite incorrect. It's in uproarious protest; skin flaking, hair wirey and erratic, lips chapped, cuticles splitting painfully. I realised tonight that my eyes and face have both reddened terribly, and are now roughly the same colour -- much more and they'll blend in with my hair, making me The Human Matchstick.
Clothing management is another issue. Wearing so many garments requires no little attention to logistics, and, quite frankly, more effort is due on my part. I am used to one layer only, and even then an incomplete one. Board shorts, bikini top, end of inventory. Or maybe underwear,pants, shirt, sandals and that's it. Currently I'm wearing:
- underwear,
- bike shorts,
- long johns,
- another pair of long johns,
- jeans,
- socks,
- boots,
- singlet,
- t-shirt,
- thermal undershirt,
- fleecy vest,
- mohair jumper,
- neck gaiter,
- scarf,
- gloves,
- jacket,
- beanie (borrowed).
The layers themselves aren't working as I'd hoped they might, either. The jeans I packed were clearly quite spacious -- OBVIOUSLY ample room for a pair of two of long johns beneath. Perhaps I would have done well to have tested this theory prior to allocating them precious space in my pack. With layers underneath they look... well... a little... *ahem*... slutty. So I've condemned myself to travelling the world looking like Pinky Tuscedero after an obscenely large feed of ravioli. A look recommended for travelling women in all reputable guidebooks, to be sure.
4 comments:
Jaysus! That's quite the adverse reaction to cold you're experiencing, huh? According to weather.com, it's presently 4 degrees ("feels like 0 degrees") in Tokyo. Not that bad, but it seems to me that you're probably reacting more to the change in humidity (although it is supposedly 52% in Tokyo). Then again, what do I know?
That outfit sounds like it will fit right in in fashion-frenzied Tokyo. It also sounds like you're ready for an impromptu game of strip poker. I'm sure there's a game show you could enter -- probably several.
I'm sure by the time you hit Europa your body will have adjusted. If not, well, I'll see if I can scare up a surplus space suit for your arrival in Canada.
Hey Ms S, How can you do it- Here I sit pouring over the slowly growing teacher pack.... feeling like I'm in Madame Tussand's. It's HOT here, YOU know, f'ing hot is the only apt description.. REading about your layers brought on a feeling of nausea.
They say only 31 degrees but can you believe that? My inner core is melting.. so much for the wicked witch of the East... Hang on Wendy is the GOOD little witch... Yes that is a W
It must be the 98% humidity that's doing the damage.. plus the stress.. why all my friends won't just live where I say and my employers pay me for THINKING about working I just don't know-
the end of last week was a real hoot too.. had to race around to do those visits for the justice dept. and that's just such good fun- all my little friends lining up to tell me their woes- being kept against my will (again! perhaps less illicit substances might just pop that mind back into reality..).One woman explained how she was going to hang herself so that's given me a beautiful visual to drift to sleep with.
Life, you wouldn't swap it for quids would you?!..watched that art safari program on ABC today- as you do when the deadline is so past you can smell it, that was very interesting.. well in with lurve out with co2. much lurve - the TRUE kind ..oh yeah, Darren rang today to see if I'd like to come to Newstead park to get some relief from the heat... no one asks do they when you are sitting about cutting toenails and removing navel fluff..I bet that new freezer vodka drinking bar in the city is doing well tonight.. perhaps I should check! XXX W (Miss)
Tim: I'd forgotten that this is how I spent most of my time in Canberra: the walking Lamington. (sorry, you'll have to Google that; I'm paying for my time here :D) I was pleased to exit Tokyo for the very fact that being around so many stylish and achingly gorgeous people is not great for the ego, particularly when you look like the lead out of The Singing Detective, dressed out of a charity bin. Skin issues seem to be settling down now, though, and, just quietly, London is better for the sense of self-worth than Tokyo, if you follow my meaning.
Wendy: Heh, heh, heh... keep telling me how HOT Brisbane is, Wendy! Then tell me some more! Regale me with the misery of your clothes clinging clammily to your back and the greasy sweat oozing on your skin! Ha ha ha! I escaped!! [insert insane laughter here]
that syrupy caring attitude just gets me every time.. you could have gone into welfare like Me!!! we could CARE together.. I heard from Sally- so hope i helped... very sketchy info.. am deadline focussed.. even when avoiding it-
have fun, I just can't understand why you would choose to miss February here!! I just walked around the block becuase I started to feel weird ....yes I know, but I started to FEEL it.. so decided cabin fever may have the better of me and I saw that lovely friendly waitress from Arriva where we ate pizza- such lovley Pizza but I guess you'll just be getting your next one in italy!-Ah well, off to the desk... i have put every piece of relevant paper in order now in week 1, week 2.... as it was growing all ove rmy tiny flat and i was slipping on them as I was walking around - so have turned the kitchen table into an office desk with two children's chairs and a plank of wood to manage all the .....- INSTEAD of actually writitng! so glad yo attended to my range hood before departure or I'd still be staring at it wondering why won't go back together.. so thank you, anyway, lovely to hear of your travels Gulliver.. lucky you got away from the little people.. Wx
Post a Comment