14 February 2005

Cookspurt

My excursion to the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde was postponed today due to snowy conditions... what better way to while away an otherwise listless day than to cook stodgy, fatty food and then stuff your face with it?

I made potato and leek soup earlier today. So many things are just different in other places; the potato flesh was bright yellow, and the soup, once blended, had the consistency of melted cheese. I kept diluting it, but still the rubberiness remained. Still, it tasted good.

Currently in the oven is Mrs Beeton's Bramley Apple Pie.

I'm going to end up like the side of a house living in this climate, and I'm not remotely concerned about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danish and English are both Germanic languages, but on completely different branches of that particular family tree. As a result, both use similar letter and sound combinations at times, but with entirely different origins and meanings. Some Danish phrases are more than a little jarring to the native English speaker's eye. To wit:

slotshave: part of an address, something to do with "castle" ("slot").

slutspurt: as seen in shop windows at sale, or udsalg time. Apparently "slutspurt" means something along the lines of "final clearance".

so baadfart: ummm, no idea what this means.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hosts have lived here in Lyngby for three years and have not seen snow anywhere near as deep or long-lasting as this in all that time.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker