7 May 2005

Pinko Plush

I'd heard of it happening, of course; it's one of those things you might see in a movie, or a story you'd hear at the pub. I'd always held a faint hope that one day I might be so blessed, but, as with winning the lottery, never really believed I would.

Until today.

Today it happened to me. And all thanks for a fondness for the image of Vladimir Illych Lenin.

~~~~~~~~~

I had decided, almost on the spur of the moment, to pay a flying visit to Melbourne. Running late to board my flight at Brisbane airport, an announcement requested that I move past the restless and snaking queue to hasten my last-minute check-in. A brisk trot from the train had raised the climate inside my vinyl jacket to tropical, but in the frantic juggle of bags and slips of paper and luggage tags and identification and pens simply didn't have enough hands to remove it as I fronted up to the counter. I left it on.

As a pair of baggage handlers shuffled a trolley through the adjoining gate one of them stopped, his eye fixed on the red Lenin badge glinting cheaply on my jacket lapel. "Wow!" he said, pointing. "Where did you get that? They're really hard to come by, aren't they?" I described the market stalls of Soviet paraphernalia I'd seen in icy Berlin: great mounds of sinister flotsam, watched over by hard-faced Russians under the dour, snow-heavy skies. The conversation bobbed buoyantly on as the clerk listened, smiling, to my new friend and I share our enthusiasm for communist trinkets, and chirpy gossip about the coin-and-medal traders in the city. We both departed lively, but not before the clerk handed over my boarding pass with, "Well, since you're so nice, I've upgraded you to Business Class."

The badge had actually come from a box of dozens like it in an Elizabeth Street Army disposal, and cost $2. Two hours flying in unexpected luxury? Priceless.

8 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

You lying commie!

Brilliant. :D

I was actually afraid, as I read, that you were going to be sidelined by airport security.

Unknown said...

You are so deceptive sometimes. Have you no shame? ;)

Mrs Robot said...

Tsk, tsk! Both so quick to accuse! I didn't actually tell the guy I'd bought it in Berlin, I simply shared, as a fellow enthusiast, what I'd seen there.

I think you're both just bitterly jealous.

Unknown said...

Bitterly jealous that you are jetting about our planet? In luxury even? Mmmmm?
Yes.
A little.
Now stop it. Until you are ready to come back, of course.

miss wendy said...

Hey young missie... over here now! we need to have a word. ... I saw rr ( while seeing "What the Bleep would we know.?" - go see it.I think you'd love it.).. anyway... she told me SHE had a coffee WITH YOU .. I REPEAT.. with you... SO how come SHE got to have coffee with you huh and I haven't seen you yet?.. huh ? HOW COME?.. (N.B. this is not an invitation to tell the truth! ;-)

Mrs Robot said...

miss wendy: She invited me first. :)

When I first read your comment I thought you'd written "young missile", which I thought was kind of appropriate. I am actually feeling younger again now that I'm back amongst others who have spent a lifetime with their faces in the harsh, blazing sun. All those Canadians look twenty years old.

miss wendy said...

Lovely to catch up withthe young missile when she landed at new farm park this weekend.. luckily landed without causeing too much damage.. well there was the lost hairclip.. there will be a national day of mourning i hear.. beginning in your street..
did you see what the bleep do we kow? yet... Michelle and I are negotiating a tiem - are you interested or did you manage to go while sans les enfants? anyway is wuz luvly to see you... and a treat as i was bracing myself for electronic contact for evermore .. or as long as we both could manage it! ;-)

miss wendy said...

Goodness, my spelling is dreadful... everyone else has such neat and well spelt posts.. and then there's me... Sorry but M and I did go and see "What the bleep do we know?" again yesterday .. I still recommend it to all .. I was going to ring you and let you know but we only managed to decide at 10am and then I did a 'visit' for the justice department stuff.. so I was busy!! but am still happy to go again, I wanted to catch the ferry to the university from my house 'cos that's lovley to do this time of year in Brisbane..but I was just a second too late. M managed to get there .. from much farther away than me!!
hope all is well in your world Ms S..

eXTReMe Tracker