It wasn't until the ABC News came on that we realised our luck. The presenter announced that we would have to make do with the Sydney broadcast tonight, and showed images of the ceiling of the Brisbane studios collapsing under the weight of water the ice-choked drains had washed in there.

7 000 properties lost power across the city, and the SES were kept busy running makeshift repairs to damaged buildings until the small hours. The hail storm came with no official warning, since the Weather Bureau lost all radar signals leading up to the worst of it.
Following the climatic mayhem came another squall, but this time of cheap cliche. Wild gusts of "unleashed its fury", "trail of destruction" and "night of terror" lashed the unwitting residents, with ensuing damage beyond estimation. At least the kids were spared that particular trauma -- they're too young to know the horrors of The Curious Snail.
Following the climatic mayhem came another squall, but this time of cheap cliche. Wild gusts of "unleashed its fury", "trail of destruction" and "night of terror" lashed the unwitting residents, with ensuing damage beyond estimation. At least the kids were spared that particular trauma -- they're too young to know the horrors of The Curious Snail.
4 comments:
Ouch! Glad to hear you're all right and it wasn't too bad. Hail always freaks me out a little, but here the pieces are rarely bigger than peas. In Alberta, golf-ball sized is common. Eep.
Yeah, golf-ball sized is not unheard of here, either. As a gardener it's particularly galling; more than once I've had my entire garden shredded during a brief pelting of hail. Better than getting your good self shredded by getting caught out in it, though.
If there's one thing we do well here in Brisbane, it's a storm. Had this one come in summer it would have been bad news. (Because that's when we get the worst ones, y'see.)
Hey S. is that you out there in the street in your gum boots and shorts.. such a beautiful combo.. only just beats the thongs and shorts look so popular in our fair city though!.. it was wild wasn't it! we perhaps didn't get the full wrath of Thor here on the northside.. I was just heading off to teach and my car was parked in. Climbed in the drivers side.. wearing my yellow poncho ! but then couldn't manouver around the other car so had to get out and go and get them to move their car.. all fun in such weather when running late! When I arrived at college one of the students said I looked like a teletubby!
Hey miss wendy. I was wondering how you fared over your way -- thought perhaps the sandbag conversation we had recently may have been a dreadful omen! Glad you missed out on the "swathe of destruction" that "terrorised the city". (Actually, I just made those two up, although The Snail has certainly published worse.)
I can't decide if the kid in the photo is wearing wellies or knee-high school socks. I'm beginning to suspect the latter. I seem to recall that this photo was taken in Kedron.
I'm currently sporting a rather sartorially splendid ensemble myself: mohair jumper, knickers, slippers and morning hair. Ce magnifique! Winter in Brisbane, eh?
Post a Comment