The cane toad is very much a symbol of Queensland. In short, it was introduced into the sugar cane fields from Mexico, to control Cane Beetle, which was threatening sugar crops. As it turns out, toads can't fly, whereas Cane Beetles can, so the success of the plan was somewhat limited, to put it gently (or so the hallowed myth goes). Since that introduction in the 1930's the poisonous toad has bred and spread at an astonishing rate, killing native frogs, snakes, goannas... you name it. It's even made it to East Timor, renamed the INTERFET frog.
It's the unquestioned duty of every Queenlander to kill any toad that strays across their path. In the olden days, the universal tools of choice were golf clubs and cricket bats. If driving, good sport was to be found weaving all over the road to hit as many as possible, extra points for hitting one square on with a loud pop. Now, in more civilised times, the correct method is to freeze them, the rationale being that as a cold-blooded critter they just slow down with the cold and suffer little. True? I can't say for sure, but what I do know is that it's best to label them clearly in their freezer bag, lest your partner should get them out and leave them on the sink to defrost, thinking it to be chicken. Yes, that is based a friend's experience.
So, the toads are much hated, and yet, much loved. We know we should hate the toad, but many of us harbour the dirty, dirty secret of being really quite fond of it. The toad is a bit of an in-joke amongst Queenslanders, such as in the splendid and greatly mourned satirical magazine, The Cane Toad Times. I myself am the proud owner of a cane toad purse, given to me by a native as a farewell gift as I moved South for a while.* It's a hideous thing, but when I looked at it after months away I felt homesick. And strangely comforted.
There's no denying that toads are a damned scourge, but I would be quite sad if I never saw one again. Their stupidity and clumsiness in combination with that serious frown they wear is endearing. I placed one on the header of my blog because to me it represents what Suburban Safari is about: the mundane, the parochial, the local, the ridiculous. And like the suburbs themselves, they're an ugly plague that's not we'll not be rid of any time soon.
Further Toady Information
- Highly recommended viewing on subject is the amusing Cane Toads: An Unnatural History.
- Cane toad myths
*Also available are the tasteful stuffed toads, surely a must for any discerning modern person.
1 comment:
It astounds me how many foreign species were introduced in Australia that have subsequently resulted in ecological disaster. Cute ecological disaster.
Post a Comment