9 March 2006

Miss Thropy, First Name "Anne"

I don’t doubt that youyou babe in the woods, youthink it would be a splendid thing indeed to be so engaging as to acquire yourself a twitter of eager admirers. I’m loath to callously swat away such quaintly misguided notions but I believe it will be kinder in the long run.

The Suburban Safari Glee Club* rebuked me yesterday—rebuked, if you please!—for my inattention to the betterment of their lives of late. And so it is my obligation to put the world right. (See what a vexed blessing this renown is?)

As attentive readers will have deduced, my absence from your screens has been a result of my having commenced study. It’s been quite taxing, far more so than I’d anticipated. Annoyingly, I seem to be something of a delicate flower, and come over with an attack of the vapours whenever I’m called upon to leave the house more than a couple of times a week. My corporeal self appears programmed for regular nana naps and general leisure. Not that university has interrupted this habit entirely; I indulged in a little horizontality by the lake on campus yesterday. Sadly, I had inadvertently stretched out in the path of spray from the fountain in the middle
I could just feel the cryptosporidium burrowing into my skinand so didn’t actually manage any quality zeds. Some of the vile lake water landed on my lips, for heaven’s sake!

Yesterday marked the beginning of the writing subject. It was a welcome relief because, just between you and I, I’ve been finding the French a little tiresome, so have been concerned that the whole “Hey! Let’s go get a degree!” trip was ill considered. I knew I was on solid ground when the lecturer quoted Don Watson, Stephen Fry and William Lutz. I sat even higher in my nylon-covered chair as she served a rich smorgasbord of the style of bureaucratese I have rammed down my throat every day at work, and labelled them “Wank Words”. Alright! As the minutes skipped on she sliced and diced word crime upon word crime, many of which have had my fingers itching for the red pen over the years; I wriggled in my seat, silently gasping yes! Yes! YES!! There may well be a place for me in the world after all.

Following the lecture I laid eyes on my tutorial group for the first time. This brought an unwelcome fact to my attention once again: when forced to view people at close range I feel a strong surge of misanthropy. I don’t much like them. Camels are lovely at a distance: graceful, noble, endearing. Altogether very nice. Up close they’re ugly, bristly, threatening, have big yellow teeth and give off a foul stench. So too, humanity from afar wells my heart with fellow feeling and compassion, but once within earshot the majority of people give me the screeching irrits within around half an hour. It shames me to admit it, but it is so. (Says a lot about my suitability for working in human services, eh?) People, like communism, are a superb concept, one I support whole-heartedly… just so long as they stay Over There.

As I say, I take no joy in seeing this in myself, but as our tutorial wore on I felt my heart grow leaden at the thought of having to interact with these people for an entire semester. My chest tightened. My jaw clenched. My eyes flicked involuntarily towards the door.

Some salvation came in the form of the tutor. I’d heard tell of the unrestrained dottiness of academics, and I’m delighted to find some truth in it. What an interesting man! 5 words, stand up, try to open window, sit down. Stand up. Sit down. Shift plastic bag one inch to the left. 12 words. Stand up. Sit down. Shift bag. 6 words. Stand up, go to door, discuss whether or not to shut it, sit down, leaving door open. Stand up, attempt to open window, shut door, attempt to open window, sit down. Shift bag. Explain that language can never be reality because, by its nature, it can only ever convey via metaphor. A tree is not a tree, that is to say, “tree” is not a tree” because “tree” is a word and not a tree. Does everyone understand? Blank looks all round. Shifts bag. Opens door.

I suppose I’m not painting a very flattering picture, but in fact I liked him very much. I did understand that “tree” is not a tree; I‘ve got a print of Magritte’s pipe, y'know. I was just too tired and too full of disdain for the class to be arsed saying so. I was hot. I wanted my lunch. I wanted the window open. I shouldn’t have worn jeans on a 32-degree day. Maybe if I wear a cool, breezy skirt next week my heart will open, I’ll embrace the other hungry minds in the group and together we can gorge ourselves on knowledge along this next exciting leg of our life journeys, growing as writers, flourishing as people and forging unbreakable bonds of friendship along the way. But I fucking doubt it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"I was just too tired and too full of disdain for the class to be arsed saying so."

OMG. You have nailed exactly the reason I cannot face another academic class. I am all for learning, but learning in a classroom full of gape-mouthed morons just does not appeal to me. Even when I was in a class with peers, it was tough, but as a "mature student" I think I would want to slap half the class with mackerels (and the other half with tuna)!


Also, is there a membership form for this glee club of which you speak?

Mrs Robot said...

This post means that I can never tell anyone at uni that Suburban Safari exists. That being the case, I feel free to let loose. :)

To be fair, many of the people there didn't make much of a peep, and so may well turn out to be almost civilised, however... I detected four unbridled and rampant egos in the group, not counting myself:

* Two delicate luvvies who want to write to express their deep and sensitive feelings but went on to demonstrate that they likely had none.

*One yobbo woman who already has a degree -- note: already has a degree and wants to be a sports writer. Nothing wrong with that, but she's asserting herself a little too vigorously for my liking, apprising us all of the fact that we are merely pale and flabby Arts students and should bow before the robust, intellectual and altogether more worthy Human Movement graduate. Did I mention that she already has a degree?

*And then there's the accomplished business woman (all of 25) who stepped straight out of the lecture focussing largely on weasel words and bureaucratic wanking and told us, with out blinking, that she had achieved her professional goals and was now in a position to utilise her financial resource base to further her progress along her developmental journey.

Pass the freakin' mackeral.

The SS Glee Club has a membership fee of one coffee for the author per fortnight. Given your geographical inconvenience, you can just send international money orders. But since you leave comments and the membership does not, I guess we can sign you up for free.

Mrs Robot said...

Geomatryx? Hmmm... you're not in my tutorial group by any chance, are you?

eXTReMe Tracker