19 March 2006

It Wawms My Haht

Good old Macquarie Dictionary. I'd never paid much attention to the phonetic details after each of its entries before, but just minutes ago I noticed that it lists only the Australian pronounciations. Hardly surprising for the national dictionary, I suppose, but no less gratifying for that. Barbecue is listed as being pronounced bahbəkyū. Note, no "rrrrr" sound to be seen. Not sure how to say c-a-r-t-o-n? I have it here in black and white that the correct way is kahtən.

I love you, Macquarie.


3 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

Uv corss, Cunnaydeeunz prunownss ehvreething eggzactlee thuh way its suppost to be spoken. We hav no accsent at all, apairentlee. Or so the Amerricunz tell us -- so it must be troo.

Mrs Robot said...

Yiah, yurrrrrrrrr rait, Aye did nodess thit when Aye wahs therrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unknown said...

::bangs head on desk::

You know, maybe this is the reason I like the web; it all sounds the same to me in print. ;)

eXTReMe Tracker