25 March 2006

Brad Pitt is Australian

The cafe that gives me my morning brew has a rack of magazines that I stare at blankly as I wait for my cup to be handed over. The covers are populated by "beautiful" people whose names are only vaguely familiar, and faces even less so. I often wonder in those idle, morning-bleary moments who the hell these people are, and why they're so damned interesting. At least now I have a little background on one regular visitor to the rag wrappers: Brad Pitt.

Turns out Brad's Australian. Our Brad. Not only that, he's a painter-turned-boxer. Since Ali stopped making the news several decades ago, I hadn't thought pugilists were terribly feited by the press, but it turns out I'm wrong. He's watching me from the magazine stand every damn day! Who'd have thought an Aussie tradesman would make into the red carpet brigade? Then again, there is the Melbourne plumber*, Eric Bana, as well. It could be the front of a trend. Maybe I should start being friendlier to the bastard carpenter who wakes us up from next door at 6:30am every Saturday morning.

Congratulations on your gold medal, Brad. Angelina must be very proud.


*I'd always thought that Eric Bana had been a plumber, but I did a bit of a search to confirm it, only to find he wasn't a tradie at all. But why let so-called "facts" change my story?


A more sensible view on the Commonwealth Games from The Age, thanks to my curly-headed pal at Wandering at Large.

6 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

He looks more like Sylvester Stallone to me. His parents clearly weren't forward-thinkers.

We had the Commonwealth Games here in Victoria in '94, and they were mostly silly. I worked security at the Weightlifting and Badminton venues, so I was part of the silliness. I think I still have a t-shirt and cap around here somewhere.

Unknown said...

Tim: you should probably not wear those, if you find them. I frequently see elderly couples in their matching Commonwealth Games bomber jackets and it makes me oddly sad.

Mrs Robot said...

His parents clearly weren't forward-thinkers. :O!! Huh, some human rights afficionado you are! For shame! You're just bitter about Canada being whipped so soundly in the medal tally.

Unknown said...

Oh please. It's not like the Commonwealth Games actually count or anything. ;)

Mrs Robot said...

Heh heh heh.... (soft, pasty Canadians.)

Tim Bailey said...

From what I could see, the Commonwealth Games were a huge, expensive, pain-in-the-ass way to get some urban infrastructure and force development where it would otherwise never happen. Much like all the other major Games.

And of course, I never actually don that Commonwealth garb now. I traded my security shirt for a CBC shirt, because it was much, much cooler, and even so it is appalling. I see people around town in the flimsy jackets, and shake my head. To think that they paid big bucks to a consultant to select the colour schemes. Yikes!

eXTReMe Tracker