1 November 2009

George Symons


Over the years I've meant to photograph various older buildings in the city, ones that are clearly not going to be around much longer. I rarely do, but did manage to capture George Symons "mens suit factory". Obviously, if you were of a mind to get dressed up as a mens George was who you went to.

The recently closed Skinny's Records had an incarnation along this strip of Elizabeth Street, but I can't remember exactly where. I do remember that it had an impressive cast iron chandelier hanging from the ceiling. This was after the Queen's Arcade was bulldozed to make way for the delightful Myer Centre. Skinny's started in a pokey, out-of-the-way corner of Queen's Arcade, as did several other interesting businesses. The Mask is one. It was an odd place, shabby and decorated in spray painted stencils and promotional posters. The rent must have been a bargain. Where do little left-of-centre businesses start up now?

3 comments:

thwap said...

that's better!

and i liked the pic n' story 2.

Mrs Robot said...

Thanks, thwap. I'm going to try to do better, I PROMISE. Once upon a time I saw everything as potential blog fodder. I'm completely out of the habit, but trying to change.

Love to the family, my maple-flavoured friend.

thwap said...

Thanks.

You don't have to blog. I was just teasing. (I think i was wasted too.)

But i'm happy you're blogging again.

eXTReMe Tracker