25 October 2008

Housing Update

Cake du jour: the Zézette Special Fruitcake, but with only 850g fruit, and with three heaped tablespoons of Dutch cocoa and 150g hazelnut meal. It's not quite as good as I imagined it would be. Next time I'll soak the fruit in something (rum, possibly) and lose the citrus peel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shocked many of you recently with my disclosure that our real estate agent has been extremely helpful in our search for new digs. That's still true, but I'm sure you'll be relieved to know that things aren't quite as outlandish as they originally sounded.

You see, they would still love us to have the house; in fact, they said they'll be doing what they can to see that the rent increase isn't more than $20 per week. This was a bit of a surprise to me, given that I was of the understanding that the price had already been agreed upon. The new place was already $60 per week more than we currently pay, so another $20 on top of that was just a bit on the nose. And apparently the house isn't actually available when they said it was -- the guy wanted to get out ASAP, originally -- but now doesn't become vacant until December. *sigh* And so on and so forth. Given that I had only agreed to taking the place reluctantly because I had thought our options had been running out, I decided to resume the hunt on our own.

To that effect, perusing the paper over breakfast this morning, I spotted one in our local area for the right price, called, and headed over. We were greeted by a pocket rocket French woman, named Francine. The house is nestled into the base of Mt Coot-tha and has a wild jungle clawing all over it and spilling on to the street, and even has a resident scrub turkey -- complete with nesting mound -- in the back yard. The house itself is late 60's/early 70's, and has a very friendly vibe about it. It has polished floors, views over the hills, big windows, front verandah, deep spa bath, air con, fabulous shelving and other storage, is close to our favorite kids' park, walking distance to the shops and bus, very quiet... just everything.

Francine showed us through, waving at fantastic pieces of furniture, saying, "Zis can stay if you like eet." And in the kitchen, "You have a deeshwasher, no? Oh well, zees one is yours." And our ideas on a few renovations? Paint eet any colour you want! I don't mind! We told her how much we liked the house, and when another prospective tenant called during our visit she told them that she had just rented it out. She thinks we have a compatible philosophy to hers; "We're a good match" is how she put it. I agree. And the best bit? It's cheaper than the other dump we almost ended up with.

I *heart* you, Francine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lemme be the first to say "w00t!" I'm glad you've found the right fit for you and yours. When do you move?

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'll keep everything crossed that she stays "batty" and doesn't turn into "psychotic".

eXTReMe Tracker