12 May 2006

Freedom from Choice


Freedom from choice is what I want when I purchase shampoo.

And cheese.

And toothbrushes.

I find these products difficult to choose; there are so many damn ones to pick from. There's the price, the packaging (i.e. excessive), quality of the product, suitability to my requirements, ethical considerations, and more. And I know that most of the products—"beauty" products, particularly—are a rip off, so that hinders my decision as well. I also find choosing clothes difficult, so as a consequence don't have many. Does this mean I'm a communist?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting. I sometimes give up when faced by too many choices ("I'll get back to that," I think), and Mike just found some really interesting research to the effect that more choices mean people are more likey to be unsatisfied no matter what they choose.

I found going from here to a small town in the UK was weird because my choices were suddlenly halved (at least) for most products -- especially health and beauty.

Another example, we have needed a new printer for ... months and haven't made a purchase because we just can't figure out which model is going to suit our needs.

Mrs Robot said...

I give up when faced with too many choices, too. Accordingly, I have no shampoo and am using a very daggy old toothbrush. I stood in front of the hair products in the supermarket last night, read damn near every label before thinking "fuck this" and buying New Scientist instead. Won't do much for my hair, but I have a few more "interesting facts" to bore everyone at work with, which is the main thing.

That research sounds about right. Some choice is fine, but are there really so many different hair conditions that we need 47 different types of shampoo? And toothbrushes... flexible ones that don't damage gums, ones with different shaped bristles to tuck into all the various crevices, ones with bristles that indicate when you should buy a new one (I thought that time was when the bristles are starting to look ratty, not when the "indicator" fades), compact head, extra grip, hard/medium/soft/"sensitive", glittery ones, curved handle to help you get to up the back of your mouth.... AAAARGH! I just want a freakin' toothbrush, OK?!

More choice does not make me happier.

Fatuous One said...

Our supermarket is always ending lines to make room for new products. They usually end the simple, no fuss products without perfume. The ones I buy. Plenty of choice in overpowering crap that literally makes me feel sick.

Or, if they do stock it, they are always out of it because there is only one of each product of this type and lots of people want it. Yet the shelves are always full of big brand names in prominent positions. I don't think this is about what we, as consumers, want. Once again the words 'multinational corporation' pop up.

Yes, comrade, come the Revolution....

Mrs Robot said...

Would that supermarket be Woolworth's Moorooka, perchance? I stopped shopping there regularly for that very same reason. It became a bit of a joke between my co-habitant and I: it seemed that everytime we went there they'd taken yet another of our staples off the shelves.
Sleepytime tea: gone!
Soyaroni: gone!
That zingy, tangy lemon soap: gone!
Ricies: gone!
Zézette's patronage: GONE!!

eXTReMe Tracker