19 May 2006

Expanding the Nucular Family

Prime Minister John Howard says he expects an intense debate about nuclear energy in the next 12 months.

Mr Howard is in Canada, where he says he will discuss issues such as uranium mining and nuclear energy with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Mr Howard has repeated his assertion that a domestic nuclear power industry is inevitable, but that it must be economically viable to proceed.

He has also told Southern Cross Radio that high oil prices are changing the way people and governments think about the issue of nuclear power.

"It could be closer than some people would've thought a short while ago," he said.

"I hope we have an intense debate on the subject over the months ahead."

- story from ABC News Online


Yes, I think "a domestic nuclear power industry is inevitable" too, but only because if Johnno has decided it's going to happen, then the opinions of any of the people he "represents" count for sweet fuck all.

Quite what high oil prices have to do with anything I'm not sure. Australia's electricity production is coal-based. Perhaps Johnno is talking about nuclear powered cars.




*sigh* I find this very depressing. The "closer ties" with the US that the PM is banging on about at the moment likely mean that we'll be obliged to start calling it "nucular*" as part of some kind of treaty.

I was discussing John Howard's North American brown-nosing trip with a friend on the phone last night and he said, "That bastard is chaining us to a sinking ship". I agree. I think history will judge the man very poorly, but that's little compensation to those of us resident in the Australia of the present.

*Thanks to Little Sister for conveying the happy and frankly eyebrow-raising news that "nucular" warrants an entry in Wikipedia.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ack. Harper is going to quietly kill Canada...

Mrs Robot said...

Good luck, Canada. I hope you fare better under your conservative government than we have under ours.

Tim Bailey said...

Harper has said publically that he greatly admires John Howard. We're lucky that Harper doesn't have Howard's majority.

Mrs Robot said...

Urgh, he would. And yes, you are.

Fatuous One said...

We just have to make sure we give Howard a 'debate' he never forgets over this one. In fact this could happily be his downfall.... It's not over yet. Don't be depressed, get angry....

eXTReMe Tracker