25 July 2005

Sundown in the Old Hometown

I paid the town of my high school days a visit just recently. It's changed beyond recognition, and doesn't really feel like home anymore. In one of the many ironies I notice in my life, while I lived there I couldn't wait to get out of the place because it was such a dump. Now that it's changed I long for the town it once was.

One thing that hasn't changed, though, is the lovely beach...

beachy keen


...and these are the only locals I recognise anymore...

pelicans

13 comments:

Fatuous One said...

Those locals are more attractive than the locals from my home town anyway....

Mrs Robot said...

Heh, you're a bit light on for beach over that way too, right? At least your locals smell a little less of fish, and more of... what? Sheep drench?

miss wendy said...

Canberra was a little beach free also.. if you are free for Straddie visit one day this weekend, or monday , read my blogg comments.. W) This river is so beautiful.. those shots are gorgeous.. I was cycling home this evening after going for a swim- FINALLY! - although my sore shoulder did do a 'pop' that might not bode well for further forays into the pool.. alas the new bathers were doing so well too, double layers to keep it all still.. anyway cycling under the storey bridge.. the beauty of the river took my breath away and brought me to tears (big baby!) wxx

Tim Bailey said...

I wish I had a portable camera to take down to Dallas Road for some snaps. We're finally having our summer weather, and the Olympics are clear as, well, day.

Mrs Robot said...

*sigh* Give that knife a twist, why don'cha?

Mrs Robot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs Robot said...

Actually, Tim, you've reminded me that I have some great photos from my ferry trip from Victoria to Vancouver to post.

There was a mountain that, from what I could tell, was South of Vancouver and was just jaw-dropping. Seriously, the ferry slowed due to the drag of my open mouth. Internet research tells me that the peak was Mt Baker, like the Boney M song.

Ah, what a transformative couple of hours that ferry trip was.

Mrs Robot said...

Ferry shot... which may go some way to explaining my enthusiasm for that part of the world.

Tim Bailey said...

Whoops. Didn't mean to twist any knives. :(

It's true -- Mt. Baker can be pretty amazing. I'm working on being less jaded about it all.

Mrs Robot said...

That's OK; the only twisted thing is my shrivelled old self, in the "bitter and..." sense. :)

Mt Baker leaped into my Top 5 Amazing Sights, without question... and it's got some pretty stiff competition from some of the vistas I've cast my eye over in this country alone.

Volcanos really do take some beating; Gunung Agung on Bali gave me my first taste, and I've been sparkly-eyed about them ever since.

Mrs Robot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs Robot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs Robot said...

(Stupid Blogger)

eXTReMe Tracker