13 June 2005

Hot Hot Chocolate

Please forgive me if this post reads a little slow, it's just that I'm typing with one hand as I push one of these into my face:

Chili Tim Tams


Chili and chocolate is a combination that will be familiar to those who've read Chocolat, or seen the movie, and I for one had been curious since seeing Juliette Binoche sprinkle a pinch of the red stuff onto a hot chocolate.

Well now I know. It's good*. It's interesting. It's unuuuuuuushool. It gives the chocolate a pleasant earthiness, and the burn comes as more of an aftertaste -- enlivened by a scorching coffee, I might add. I'm not a great fan of the Tim Tam, so I'd imagine that this is not the apogee of the concept.

Any other chili/chocolate products out there?

*Another review here.

7 comments:

Mrs Robot said...

Note to Tim: the review I linked to contains the phrase "I can't be arsed making a coffee."

Fatuous One said...

I have tried these in a brave moment and surprisingly found I didn't mind them, but I don't think it's an everyday place to take my tastebuds.

Mrs Robot said...

"fatuous one". Heh heh heh. I like it.

I wanted to like them more than I did. I wanted to love them. I wished for nothing more than for this capsicum/chocolate combination to reignite the flame in my ever-tiring relationship with the food of the angels... but alas. They're fine. They're nice. They're just not amazing.

Oh, the burden of being a Gen X-er, doomed forever to find everything mediocre.

miss wendy said...

You know Ms S, just maybe it IS mediocre! In the movie.. book, she made this on behalf of her ancestral, 'witchy poo' heritage and unending years of bewitching people through food..
I am not convinced that biscuit factory workers in their white 'hair-free zone' hats thinking about their shopping lists, next big porn bust, or what happened to Charlene on Neighbours; are going to produce the same result.. Now If YOU were to attemmpt it... ... )

Mrs Robot said...

Yup. Mediocre. As I mentioned, I'm no particular fancier of the Tim Tam, so it was only the rarity of the combo that prised my wallet open.

It's got me thinking, though. I used to (back when I had a decent oven) bake a great deal, particularly rich, spicy, dark gingerbreads and the like. The German heritage comes through in the most unlikely ways at times. I've been wondering how these baked goodies might go with a bit of the red bitey stuff. I used to flavour them with coriander and cardamom, ginger and garam marsala; perhaps chili's not such a leap?

miss wendy said...

Preheat the oven I'm on my way over!

Unknown said...

"I wanted to like them more than I did."

Damn. That is me all the time. D'you really think it's a GenX thing? That would be even more dissapointing.

I have not tried the chilli-chocolate combo, but the thought appeals to me. I suspect I would also be underwhelmed.

eXTReMe Tracker