9 June 2005

Half-Asleep in Shark Pyjamas

Wedding Anniversaries:
1. Paper
2. Cotton
3. Leather
4. Linen

Singledom Anniversaries:
1. Glass (Shot glass, beer glass)
2. Tin (Baked beans, unheated)
3. Flannelette (Nightwear)
4. Hair (Cat)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Every now and then I develop very brief, low-grade obsessions with certain things. (Certain people at times, too, but that’s another story.) These things are usually objects for which I have little or no real need, but manage to convince myself that the absolute opposite is true.


Several years ago -- not long after I re-entered the workforce following a long break –- I absolutely had to have a bagless vacuum cleaner. Now I am not one generally given to excessive consumption, or a need to have the latest chi-chi appliance as recommended by Queer Eye, but on this occasion my mind would not be still until I had one of these appliances cluttering up my cupboard. I'm at a loss to explain it. Nevertheless, as a reward for weeks of dedicated pricing and hunting, researching and haggling I struggled home from the plaza triumphant, shiny new blue thing under my arm. The machine's general lack of verve in comparison to the older, uglier model it replaced was rather a disappointment, but the exercise scratched the itch and so served its purpose. (I guess.)


Over the past few weeks my obsessive attention has turned to nightwear. I have not been a regular wearer of pyjamas of any stripe for around twenty years or so, but the odd occasion I’ve needed them – a hospital visit, say, or a wholesome and modest overnight stay somewhere – this lack has been mightily inconvenient. As I’ve perused the selection available recently I’ve remembered why it is that I haven’t hurdled this obstacle in the past. The nightwear choices for women are appalling. The garments are themed thusly:


I’m Pretending I’m A Four-Year-Old. These seem to be in the majority, and involve swathes of pink, hearts, Winnie-the-Pooh and sundry other sickly, cutesy shit that no self-respecting or mentally healthy adult should be seen dead in.


Cheap Hooker. You’ll find this range in the plastics aisle, alongside cling film and fly swats. Perhaps this is indicative of some social deficit of mine: I honestly don’t think I could wear something shiny and oil-derived with “Naughty” or “Bad Girl” written across it. Not even in irony. Ever.


Nana. Need I explain? Floral flannelette nighties, scratchy pink polyester dressing gowns. Need to be married to entertain this genre.


And the fourth choice is, of course, to wear men’s pyjamas.


Given this monumental, heart-wrenching dilemma, you may be surprised to learn that I did indeed make a purchase last week, although not as I’d expected. On a day trip to Redcliffe, Little Sister and I indulged in a bit of a dig through a remainder store and to my delight found a set of PJ’s that were – gasp! – quite acceptable. They are men’s style, but not overly masculine, and the fluffy flannelette is keeping me cosy as the winter air continues to chill. But sharks are not the first thing that would spring to mind if called upon to design nightwear, although I think that’s to my discredit because my new pyjamas are rather glorious for their marine decoration. And they only cost $12.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


So, flannelette-clad, I can relax, itch scratched – for now. And so onto the next must-have thing; I have a funny feeling it may be one of these*.


*Full credit to Cheryl for bringing this to my attention. Where does she find all this cool stuff?

10 comments:

miss wendy said...

Hey Ms, S.. LONG POST!! you'll get a reputation.. I was going to say 'like me' until my I quickly realized ...'that's for BORING, boring,boring people to death with LONG posts' what's all the editing notes there for?..
Anyway .. for the 10th anniversary for singledom I gave myself razorblades.. that's the trouble with singledom you have to give things to yourself..
lets start a tradition of giving things for singledom anniversaries!!
Also,I pondered on the name change and decided Suzette Syllabub was the perfect solution.You can see a recipie at http://www.godecookery.
com/begrec/begrec21.htm

Unknown said...

Excellent choice in nightwear! My most comfy flannel PJ bottoms regrettably feature clouds and teddybears, but I pair them with a rather well-worn cotton tee, so it kind of mellows out the cute-factor.

Oh, and I think a curent subset of the Cheap Hooker is the Ghetto Skank, like Christina Aguillera and Lil Kim teamed up to market nightwear (shudder).

[As for finding remarkable/odd things, I just spend too much time surfing the net.]

Mrs Robot said...

Wendy: Thanks for alerting me to the coding issues. Blogger seems to have fits every now and then, and I had a good deal of trouble getting this post up.

Cheryl: Why, thank you! There's also another set there that I'm sorely tempted to pick up: they've got Seventies Formula One cars and "76" in an outrageous font scattered all over them.

I just love remainder stores.

miss wendy said...

Hey Miss S, I am SO glad the phot is back- and a REALLY lovley one too! Nice to see your smiling face. As for nightwear- we could probably do personality testing according to our nightwear.. or non nightwear.. I remeber years ago my mother (having been spurned by my father for supposed greener pastures) that my lack of night weear indicated I was " A gypsy. just like your father!".. said accusingly! .... ah well, I like night wear in relation to it's kinesthestic issues.. of course, How does it FEEL TO ME!! that's long time singledom fo you- or perhaps it's self perpetuating.. the lack of attention to the visual image leads to the singldom (that and the personality!) leads to the lack of care in relation to the view.....I am presently enjoying a lovley little man made fibre number from the second hand shop- not sure why - I think it's a tiny bit too cold to go without and I bought it for visits to family- and at the moment it FITS!!

Mrs Robot said...

Do you like having a photo there? I've been wondering about that lately. Why is it important, I've been asking myself? Why do we have them there? Why the hell would I want one there? Why this one that makes me look like the host of a kids' TV show? Eh. It's there.

I managed to squeeze putting this one up into my hectic earring production schedule. (Just.)

Fatuous One said...

I think you are so right about the PJ's - you've put everything I've ever thought about women's nightwear in writing....

Mrs Robot said...

Hmm, maybe you and I have found a niche, fatuous one. Nightwear for the modern woman... as opposed to modern girl-who-can't-think-for-herself-in-woman's-body. I think the market's primed and ready.

Fatuous One said...

Another brilliant business idea for that running list. I also thought of being an agent for tradespeople with old fashioned skills who aren't afraid of difficult jobs. After a week of being told 'it's too hard, no one will do that for you...' I can see a real market. But the trouble is, good ideas abound but I'm lazy and really just want to paint pictures.... or something.

miss wendy said...

So true, so true.. I also abound with ideas.. but acutally DOING SOMETHING! .. the old american afterschool tv serving comes to mind. Maynard G.Crebs in Dobie Gillis "Work!" said in a screeching tone accompanied by eye rolling.. that 'out of date ' work skills thing sounds great.
Ms S:.. As to the photo.. what children's show is that? Can I be part of the studio audience.. You know, there's nothing wrong with looking freindly, pretty and smart! .. honestly , I know it has bad press.. but be brave! I love to see your smiling face.. and I love photos.. words are good too but when accompanied by photos it's SOO much bettter.. I think the way 'picture book' are not kosha for adults is very sad!

Mrs Robot said...

Little Known Suzette Fact

At age 18, whilst trying to convince the editor of the local rag to pay me for some cartooning (he wisely declined) I was talent-spotted for the role of host of the afternoon kids' cartoon show. (I wisely declined) The woman-child who took the job ended up doing Getaway or one of those shows. Her name was Anne-Marie something and she had a helium voice. I never would have fit in.

eXTReMe Tracker