Hey, Australia -- I spent last night in a pub and this morning my hair still smells fresh! And I can wear the same clothes again without gagging! How can this possibly be, you scratch your head and ask? Well, here in wacky old Canada people don't smoke in pubs!! That's right, no smoking inside... at all! Anywhere!!
It's a crazy idea but, you know, there just might be something in it.
12 March 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Suzette, I am just shocked that you were spending your time in a public house!!- Unlike Australia where we all go to the art gallery and then share cucumber sandwhiches and tea... Glad to hear you are so far away from 'home' and still keeping up with the cultural norms of your country of birth.. the not smoking is good .. did people go outside ( and freeze).. ? Just so different to Oz!- Did 90% of the pub crowd drink until they passed out?
Yeah, well, these Canadians are just hard-drinkin', ball cap-wearing yokels, so I was a little worried I'd provoke them by suggesting something involving thought. So after an afternoon's moose hunting and log-driving the idea to go to the pub seemed popular, so I just went with the flow. The not smoking inside is not such a big deal here as they all chew tobacco instead.
Not sure how much the crowd drank, Wendy; they were all still going when I passed out.
Good on you !- keeping the rich cultural traditiions of the homeland alive (unconscious but alive!)..
So the chewing of tobacco is a less noisome habit then??
Well, I am qualified to comment here, Ms Rosz, due to the fact that I recently interacted for some minutes with a baccy-chewin' fella. He was, if you can believe it, one of the uniformed Immigration Officers at Chicago airport. Sitting there processing my visa, periodically (read: every minute) spitting lurid yellow stuff into the waste paper bin. (I'm actually physically gagging as I type this) I didn't -- thank you, sweet jesus, thank you -- actually smell it, but I'd sit in a room full of smokers rather than witness that again any day.
errr...much to be said for banning these habits while at work at least. I'm trying to think of a habit I have that they wouldn't appreciate at work, but putting paint brushes behind your ear and getting paint in your hair doesn't cut it does it? But I don't get to drink martinis or brandy alexanders at work... must talk to the union.
Post a Comment