31 March 2005

Watch This Space

Whilst walking down Cook Street today I realised just how fond of Victoria I've become. I assume walking was the method of locomotion I was employing on this journey at any rate; a vicious hangover had severed all communication between head and body, so I really am just guessing. So, whilst being propelled in some fashion, and quietly celebrating a clear sky, flowers in bloom and warm sunshine on my ragged face I saw the city a little more clearly. This tends to happen when you're about to leave a place.

Practicality -- old friend, relentless irritant -- dictates that the idyllic reverie I've been lost in over the past month must cease. Money must be earnt, laws abided. Sadly, sadly, neither of these things can be done here in my lovely home-town-of-one-month, it would seem. To merely apply for a work visa here is going to set me back close to $2000, and I'm not even sure that I meet the criteria. Damn! But I like it here! I can cross the driving-on-the-right roads with confidence now, and the sing-songy accent is friendly and familiar. I've been settling in easily and have no desire to leave.

So, readers, I'm now giving you the chance to make my decisions for me, in the Suburban Safari Shift Suzette Off The Sofa competition! Just like Sims, but with real, live consequences! Cool, huh?


Should Suzette:
a) Stay in Canada and rustle up illegal cash work as an artists' model/exploited kitchen worker?
b) Stay in Canda and invest $2000 -- most of my savings -- in applying for a visa and risk starvation?
c) Go to the UK, work, apply for Canadian visa whilst there, save up and return later?
d) Just get over the Canada thing and settle in the UK because, hey, what's so great about back bacon anyways? Or people who say "anyways"?
e) Just head back to Brisbane and defeat, because, frankly, this travel thing is wearing thin?
f) Head back to Australia, but move to Melbourne?
g) Move to New Zealand?
h) None of the above (specify)?

The truly shameful thing is that I'll probably do whichever of these things gets the most votes.

7 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

*sob*

miss wendy said...

Suzette... you know I'd love to throw in a vote for Brisbane- triumphant return of the much travelled ..... Ms S..meet you at the Pavillion?-
but really I do have to say it, you know... it's my job!

WHAT DOES YOUR HEART SAY ? (no, other than kurthump)the 'still small voice', what 'resonates'.. 20 yrs into the future you see yourself ....? love, W

Mrs Robot said...

Wendy: Ah, no, Brisbane would seem like failure at this point, as nice as being home for a while would be. (You lovely thing, you.)

My heart says stay here, but unfortunately my bank balance and the bureaucracy are screeching over the top of it. I guess that's what's making the choice so difficult. You know, I'm discovering that this is one of the more difficult aspects of travel: constant decision-making and change... two things that don't come naturally to me. I'd really just like to settle somewhere for a while; have everything perfect without any effort or waiting. Is that too much to ask?

Tim: *sigh*

miss wendy said...

Miss S, follow the heart my friend it's the only way to keep your integrity... and everyone knows it's what no girl can do without!- true lurve W

Mrs Robot said...

But how do I attend to the demands of the stomach at the same time (ie feed myself)?

Unknown said...

Suzette, dear. You have only just landed here. The bureaucrats are what makes Canada so damned Canadian. It's why we are so completely programmed to stand in neat lines.

I vote for working illegally in order to supplement your savings and/or subsidize your food budget until such a time that $2000 for a visa app. seems perfectly reasonable.

I would suggest however that you cut back on the taxis, cheese and alcohol in order to conserve cash... but then one has to consider if Victoria would still seem as lovely.

Miss Wendy is right, you have to listen to that little "voice" inside that runs your whim-engine.

Mrs Robot said...

Hmmm, maybe I can become a cheese runner? And until $2000 seems reasonable? So you mean "forever", then?

eXTReMe Tracker