11 March 2005

Turn, turn, turn.

At any given moment on any day we have the ability to make a choice that is life-changing. Sometimes the act bringing about that change may only be a small one, but one that alters the course of our lives forever. That's absolutely how life is : choice > turn > choice > turn > choice > turn.

How do we make these choices? How do we know which is the right course? When is the risk of disaster too great for a particular option to be reasonable?

There can be a great and terrible tension leading up to the decision to act or not, a tortuous rolling over and over and over of the scenario, the act, the outcome, the repercussions, the delirious rush that marks success, the eye-prickling, cheek-burning, chest-caving crush delivered by appalling judgment and failure.

So how to predict?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

When is the risk of disaster too great for a particular option to be reasonable?

In the past, I went by only if "death is on the line." Now with a family, I have to find a bit more balance... but ultimately it all comes down to quality of life.

Mrs Robot said...

Quality of life. Hmmm. In my head I think "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees", etc, etc, but it's easier said than done when you're a mousey coward.

miss wendy said...

hey suzette, Courage is about acting when you are feeling fear. You are not the sort of girl to live on your knees - you're too short! Perhaps this is where the ancient wisdom of advertising comes in.. "just do it".. Just fyi- I saw a young man yesterday with a t shirt with a picture of Elvis on it.. I thought he was quite young to be an Elvis fan- so I looked more intently and under the image it read "He's dead. Get over it!".. the youth of today, proactive world changing.. It gave me a good laugh, W

Unknown said...

I'm not exactly a daredevil, but I would never have gone to the UK if I hadn't signed up on a whim when I heard a random announcement before class... other decisions on a whim include some major job changes and accepting a marriage proposal less than a month after meeting someone. Turns out that last decision was actually pretty sound.

Mrs Robot said...

Cheryl: Yes, a whim is certainly where my best moves are made. Paralysis comes when deliberation is allowed to set in. I mean, the idea to come to Canada wasn't exactly chewed over in any great depth. I seem to need to trick myself into doing anything remotely confronting. Which I can do if required, it seems.

Wendy!! I was beginning to wonder what had become of you! Glad to see you back wasting your precious time indulging me here.

You're quite right, of course; in fact, I spoke those very words regarding courage myself today. It's a great theory, huh? I'll get over it, I'm just uber-sook Mouse Woman at the moment. I think perhaps it's the change of diet. Or maybe the weight of all the extra clothing is a bit too taxing. Or perhaps, just perhaps it's that I'm on the OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING PLANET!!

*pant* *pant*

Great Elvis t-shirt, by the way.

Oh, and apparently "stickybeak" is an Australianism, and very amusing to Canadians.

Tim Bailey said...

Geography Pedant to the rescue, with some not-so-fun facts!

(1) The distance between Victoria and Brisbane is approximately 11,828 km, or about 30% of the Earth's 40,076 km circumference. So, Suzette is actually only about 1/3 way around the world.

(2) Because the Earth's surface is 3/5 water, and just to make it that more isolated and exotic, the other side of the fucking planet from Australia lies entirely within the western atlantic ocean, off the eastern seaboard of the US. That is, except for Perth, which, as it turns out, is directly across from Bermuda! Wow!

Hold your breath for more fun facts!

Mrs Robot said...

Hey thanks, Geography Pedant! I don't feel remotely isolated or periodically terrified anymore! You're a genius!

Oh, hang on... I'm actually two thirds of the way around the world, given the path I took... so it's actually 1/6 worse than I originally realised. Crap.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a song?

eXTReMe Tracker