6 January 2005

Place Your Bets

Those of you who are of a speculative nature will not doubt be eyeing the betting sheet for the upcoming Academy Awards. I have no interest whatsoever in the Oscars, but bring it up merely as a way of sidling Centrebet into the conversation. Neither a punter nor a celebrity hound, I find Centrebet entertaining, nonetheless.

I discussed Centrebet in a my very first post here; I stumbled across it during our last Federal election, when it was being held up in the media as a reliable barometer of the nation’s voting intentions. As it happens, their reputation was well deserved on this occasion: their odds reflected the outcome of the polls remarkably accurately, sad to say. Impressed, I now drop by every few weeks to cast an eye over what’s on offer.

Although primarily a sports-betting site, Centrebet also offers odds on a variety of other events, currently the aforementioned Oscars, the Grammys, who will host the 2012 Olympics (Paris is looking good, Moscow somewhat less so) and another rather interesting tote: What Will Happen First in 2005? The listed events are all sports-related, so I don’t actually have the remotest idea what they mean, but it’s an interesting concept. 2005 is shaping up to be an eventful year for yours truly, so I pondered what my own poll might look like.

What Will Happen First in 2005?

  • I will run out of money overseas and have to slink home
  • I will stop dying my hair
  • I will find a job overseas
  • Thomas and I will fight and stop travelling together
  • I will cease to be single
  • Thomas will wear bathers in public
  • I will have my camera stolen
  • I have my backside felt/pinched in Rome
  • Thomas will have his camera stolen
  • I will have my Canadian work visa approved
  • Thomas has his backside felt/pinched in Thessaloniki
  • I will vomit as a result of weird foreign food
  • I will affect an irritating non-Australian accent
The insider tips are:
  • I have an incredibly weak stomach
  • I have never gone without dying my hair for more than a couple of months (that’s with effort)
  • I have been single for a long time
  • Thomas is hyper-vigilant in guarding his possessions
  • I am hopeless in guarding my possessions
  • More than one Brit has mistaken me for British
  • The Canadian visa seems dependant on my ability in French (i.e. not looking good)
  • Thomas and I both have flat, unappealing backsides (to match our personalities)
  • In the five years I’ve known him, I’ve only seen Thomas wear bathers in public three times


As for myself, some of these events seem a good deal more likely than others, but life being what it is, you never can tell. Whatever this year holds for you, I hope it's an interesting one, and that you still have your camera in 2006.


1 comment:

Mrs Robot said...

Good grief, you commented, and it wasn't over a coffee on the verandah-like structure!

Hmmm, well, to be honest, I think that's probably where my vote goes, too. And if history tells us anything, the "food" needn't even touch my lips for the poll to draw to a close. Hopefully Mr T still has his camera to capture the Kodak Moment.

You have heard French around here, you just haven't been listening. I say "cafe" and "fuque" all the time.

Thessaloniki's too far from the ground? Well, you clearly know a few things I don't... you'll need to appraise me of this situation before I leave.

eXTReMe Tracker