19 December 2008

The Annual Event

Today was The Big Day. I had fairly high hopes for this year, but those expectations were exceeded. We did it while the kids had their morning nap, and got most of it done; we just had the odd bits left over to finish after Edie woke up.

It took me a while to open the big money box. As Little Sister will tell you, I have a really crappy can opener. I had it when we lived together, and I've still not replaced it. So the big tin money box looks as though it's been chewed open, and I dipped my hand into it very gingerly to avoid the savage edges.

I only started the big money box in April, around the time of the kids' birthday. I tried to average around $2 per day, but did slip the odd big note in. I was hoping for around $700, but conceded that it could have been considerably less.

I had started it as a holiday fund, but as the total climbed I found myself less and less inclined to fritter it away on day trips and fun park entries. I didn't want to open it, but curiosity got the better of me. I was just bursting to know how much was in there. So we cracked it, and counted it.

$863.65. What a fun summer we're going to have this year. Happy Christmas to you and yours. Thank you so much for reading along with Suburban Safari. Let's do it again in 2009. xx

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You have to use a can opener to get into a money box? Do you have a photo of this odd contraption?

Mrs Robot said...

Yeah, it's basically a big tin can with a slot in the top. Being otherwise unopenable is the only way to guarantee it being unmolested all year. You know, I just need some change for the bus and so on.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea. Since we're never going to win lotto (husband is big on maths, he doesn't believe we're statistically likely to win, therefore we don't buy tickets. Of course, I believe that you have to have a ticket to win, so this just reinforces the low likelihood of a big win).

I can see a moneybox in our future :)

Mrs Robot said...

Well, that's the thing: if you "invest" $10 or $12 dollars a week (the amount commonly spent on lotto per week, from what I've seen), by the end of the year you've got $500 - $600. I think most people would be pretty stoked if they had a lotto win of that size. As I mentioned, though, I think the unopenable money box is key to this system, unless you're some kind of ultra-self-controlled freak. I'm not.

I got my tin box from a $2 store; only the kind with a large denomination bank note printed on the outside seem to be available, in my area at least.

eXTReMe Tracker