2 November 2008

10 Days in August

Today I paid a return visit to the excellent Museum of Brisbane exhibition, 10 Days in August, partly to enjoy the wealth of images and artifacts one more time, but mostly to bring some of those images to your screen.

The ten days are, of course, The Ekka, and the exhibition is a wonderful meander back through the show's history. Here are a few of my special favorite exhibits.



National Party powerbrokers confer with their favored leadership contender, 1962




...but the other contender seems made for the job, too.




When I was at high school, any mention of contraception by a teacher was punishable by dismissal, and we had to sing God Save The Queen every morning. Relatively, this likely was highly refined and educational.




Sadly, there was no further information on the "Hygenic Court". Wouldn't you just kill to have a look at the snake oils and purgatives in there?




Yup, it's a pineapple made of pineapples. How Queensland, on so many levels.


Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a better picture of this selection of vintage showbags. My era is indicated by the paper (rather than string) handles. I clearly remember the Milky Bar Kid one, the Chickadees one, Twisties and Hoadley's. Oh, and the Crunchie one, with the axe hero on it (bottom right).



I've saved the most special til last. And yes, that does say "Headless". Another exhibit from the archives of the Qld Education Department. This time, from our year 11 biology text. Note her crossed legs: that's from the "marital instruction" unit of the semester.


If you're in Brisbane do your best to get along to the Museum of Brisbane and have a look. The exhibition is on until November 16.


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker