I speak of the word "literally". Here's what Bill Bryson has to say on the issue in Troublesome Words:
All too often used as a kind of disclaimer by writers who mean, generally, the opposite of what they are saying. The results are generally excruciating [...]
It should not need saying, but if you don't wish to be taken literally, don't use literally. The word means actually, not figuratively. It is acceptable only when it serves to show that an expression usually used figuratively is to be taken at its word, as in: "He literally died laughing."
I have ABC Local Radio on in the house most days, and have heard these gems over the past few weeks:
The shelves are literally groaning with diet products these days...
Geelong literally butchered the opposition...
He was really clingy after that. He was literally stuck to my leg all day, every day.
I literally flew through the door...
Choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment