In comparison to others in my socio-economic niche I suppose I don't have a lot of stuff, but even still, I have too much. Too much stuff. I don't need any more stuff. Despite that, on my birthday later on this month and then at Christmas time several well-meaning loved ones will likely give me a bit more of it. It will be nice stuff, given with love and thought, but essentially surplus to my affluent Western lifestyle. How much better to give something to someone who needs it.
Oh look! Here's an opportunity to do just that! It's Oxfam Unwrapped, a scheme whereby you purchase something for someone in genuine need, but you can do so in the name of the person whose birthday (or whatever) it is. You give them the gift of giving.
As much as I'd love another piece of kitschy clutter this year, how about a goat instead?
21 August 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Holy fuck, that just breaks my heart. Jesus wept.
How so, oh delicate one?
You can plant a garden for less than many people spend on romance novels in the store where I work. How can the world possibly be so disparate?
It's ridiculous, isn't it? The good news is that (I/someone else) was given some seeds through the Oxfam programme. So someone's going to have a better shot at having a full belly sometime soon.
Post a Comment