29 August 2006

The Election Campaign Gets Serious

Less than a fortnight to go until we drag the blunt pencil over our ballot papers, the sorting of the sheep from the goats has begun in earnest. The issue at hand: the baking abilities of Premiers' wives. Wicked Witch of the West, Flo Bjelke-Petersen, has come out swinging at the incumbent wife, Dr Heather Beattie, over her supposed lack of prowess in the kitchen. Heather recently drew public attention with her white chocolate and macadamia biscuits, but Flo's not impressed:
I think my scones would be better as far as I'm concerned. I really feel as far as that recipe's concerned, I think if she concentrated more on helping Peter Beattie to get things fixed up in the health department it'd be a jolly lot better.

Well, that's Heather put in her place, and as eloquently as ever.

Much as I hate to say it, I'd have a pumpkin scone over a white chocolate and macadamia bikkie any day, but if Flo's fingers had been in the dough I may reconsider.

3 comments:

Fatuous One said...

And we have elected Pumpkin Scones. Luckily we don't have to choose by food-made-by-politicians-wives or there would be trouble (mostly between my head and my taste buds). Long as I don't have to eat the biscuits, I'm fine.

Really the only bicuit that can compete with a pumpkin scone is the old 'rolled-oats bikkie' (my family traditionally calls them by the pre-propaganda name) and to everyone else - anzac biscuits.

Mrs Robot said...

I agree with you on the rolled oat bikkies. So simple, so superb, especially when they've gone a little stale and flexible!

ANZAC is a propagandist name, isn't it? That damn acronym gets dragged out whenever guilt and sentiment are required in order to sway opinion. To stand up against it is to virtually beg for public stoning.

Fatuous One said...

My mother was the best - she made her rolled oats bikkies in a big square and then cut them up while hot. The middle ones were mine and always flexible while the edge ones belonged to my sister and were crunchy....

eXTReMe Tracker