The Australia-wide hookup. Union heavies' picnic. Girl reporter braved the madding crowd.
I only stayed a little while, and was dissappointed that the whiney rhetoric was still keeping the crowd from making its rowdy march across the bridge an hour and a half into the day's events. I would like to have taken part in that, but print deadlines wait for no comrade... so back to the coalface I went.



Update: Comrade Bron, who stayed longer, reports that the march went up Peel St and into West End, not over the bridge and into the city as I'd assumed....why a stroll through the cappucino strip is going to overthrow the government I'm not sure.
ABC News report of the day's events.



5 comments:
I did most of the march thing, but yes I was hot and burnt and didn't need to see the TV ads and the emotional blackmail. Do they need to preach to the converted? I actually heard the speeches, which is unusual, and was pleased that they mentioned it being the beginning - and dismayed, even though I knew it already. So much boring effort just to keep what we've got, so how much harder will it be to improve things in the world these days?
I got to work and people didn't really want to talk about it much and just got on with their work. I went home very depressed yesterday....
Oh - and the important bit about going through South Brisbane, which you probably know by now, was to go to National Party headquarters and present the case to Barnaby Joice.... who might actually be able to do something - move a pinkie or something.
Yes, the evening's news revealed all. Barnaby Joyce, eh? A Dickensian name for one of the most powerful men in the country. Funny how fortune throws the most unlikely types into these situations from time to time.
The disinterest extended to my workplace, too. What is it going to take to make people realise that what's happening now is going to affect the rest of their working lives? I can see a day when various (unnamed) colleagues will be bleating bitterly about their work conditions and me gaining little satisfaction in reminding them of this time and their lack of awareness.
I agree, it is frustrating to have to put effort into merely maintaining the status quo. I was speaking yesterday to a friend who works for the AWU, and he was telling me that membership has jumped by an unprecedented margin -- so at least some workers are aware of what's going on.
What you people need is an insurgency.
I'm feeling very maoist today. Well, a little.
You're feeling moist?!? You really should check for typos before you post, Tim.
Post a Comment