28 November 2005

Canuckistan 2006 -- The Return of the Pith Helmet

Well, maybe. Yesterday I applied for a scholarship to attend the XVI International AIDS Conference in Toronto, August 2006. How excitement! I mean, yes, it will mean working my proverbial off at the event if I actually am approved for this funding, but it also likely means a return visit to BC and meeting up with several Toronto-based online friends I've only known in two dimensions until now. A combination of keen powers of divination and casual inspection of my bank statements tells me that I'm not likely to see the Land of the Donut again in the near future without it.

As I understand it, I've got Buckley's* of getting this sponsorship, but my ticket's in the hat, so I've done all I can do for now. Until March, anyway, at which point the applications for Media Scholarships -- which is more appropriate for what I do, really -- are being taken. I'm thinking of it as having bought a lottery ticket.

I have my dibs in for a spot at theJune 2006
14th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on HIV & EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES in Toulon, France, too. Now if that doesn't sound like a crackin' fun holiday I don't know what does. Just imagine the souvenirs!

*
Because I know some non-Australian will ask:
Buckley's.
noun Colloquial
1
Also, Buckley's chance, Buckley's hope.
a very slim chance; forlorn hope:
2 Buckley's and none,
(humorous) two chances amounting to next to no chance.
[? from William BUCKLEY, influenced by the pun on the name of the former Melbourne department store, Buckley and Nunn]

5 comments:

Shawn DeWolfe said...

In BC in August? I'll put the stew on the backburner to await your arrival :) Kidding.
If you make it to Victoria, it'll be good to see you again.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I dunno. Weren't we going to be outa town in August 2006...? ;)

Mrs Robot said...

Ha! So you'll have a spare bed then! :P

Tim Bailey said...

I already knew this, but HOORAY anyway! :D

According to someone I know, the trick with lotteries is to deny the odds, and simply believe that you're going to win. Apparently this strategy has served him well for almost 40 years, even though he's never won a lottery yet.

Mrs Robot said...

I believe I can guess the "someone" you're talking about, so I can't say it bolsters my confidence. :D I reckon the odds are a little shorter on this lottery, though.

But, yes... HOORAY (potentially)!!

eXTReMe Tracker