2 September 2009

Breaks Radio Silence

I break this (undramatic) silence to tell you about something beautiful I saw online tonight: Yves Marchand and Romaine Meffre's photographs of Detroit in decay. Oddly enough for someone living on the other side of the globe to Detroit -- in fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to get further away from it, geographically -- I've seen quite a lot about the decay of Motor City recently. Funny how things go in waves like that. I have seen enough, however, to regret not having known about is when I was in that part of the world. Everything I've seen seems poignant, beautiful and heartbreakingly tragic. I really, really want to go there. In the meantime, please enjoy the photos.




From the Time website:
On their website, the photographers write, "Ruins are the visible symbols and landmarks of our societies and their changes...the volatile result of the change of eras and the fall of empires. This fragility leads us to watch them one very last time: to be dismayed, or to admire, it makes us wonder about the permanence of things."

A couple of the "places" I've seen Detroit recently are also worth a mention. Firstly, the always excellent Foreign Correspondent featured Detroit a few weeks ago; Stephen Fry's compelling Stephen Fry in America also paid a visit. Or did he? Now that I look at the website I think I may be mistaken. Either way, his show is wonderful, and you'll be a better person for tuning in. 7:30pm Sundays for the Antipodeans reading.


Time's collection of the Marchand/Meffre Detroit photographs

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker