
It's hardly a great surprise that epilepsy has a patron saint; it's so frightening and seemingly inexplicable that it was thought for a long time to be the work of the devil. What else could a sufferer and their family do but pray, pray, pray?
I've been reading a bit about epilepsy recently, and there's a lot about it I didn't know. I didn't know how many different types there are, for example. It's not all the dramatic thrashing about we see in the movies and on TV. An episode can take the form of just blanking out for a while, experiencing phantom sensations such a tastes or sounds, fluttering eyes, all kinds of things. And it's not genetic. I assumed it was.
So this Valentine's Day -- if you're not too amorously engaged to have the time, that is -- take the time to have a quick read of this first aid information for epilepsy.
1 comment:
A girlfriend of mine had epilepsy, she had a seizure while we were having coffee in Newtown one day. I took her to a medical centre nearby, and the stupid GP patted her on the arse and prescribed valium because he thought she was stressed!
Goes to show that even the experts often don't know much about it. Thanks for posting this, i hope you're having a fun V day!
Post a Comment