Now that I'm essentially a suburban housewife and mother I've noticed daggy suburban food creeping onto the menu at Chez Zezette. Not every night, mind you, but frequently enough for me to have noticed a trend. Meals I would have cruelly sneered at just a year or two ago. Tonight's fare: tuna pasta bake. I can hardly believe I just typed that: tuna pasta bake. Two nights ago, bangers and mash. I have things in the freezer now, vegetable-type things, and no vodka.
I used to look at daggy suburban types and wonder how on earth anyone could let themselves be that way, how anyone could care so little and put in so little effort. But of course I get it now: when children are involved everything takes so much damn time and effort that nothing else really matters. I've stopped dyeing my hair for the first time in about 20 years. And you know, I quite like it.
19 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just promise me you'll never put potato crisps as a topping on the tuna bake.
And I'm sure you look very sexy in your trackies, I know I do!
This just in: Ignorant Canadian has just looked up the word "daggy" in the urban dictionary. Now I have a new appreciation of your blog. (and Australian culture).
Sarah M (tim's friend in Vancouver)
Post a Comment