16 March 2008

Milton Bowl

Very rarely do I do anything other with our local paper than pluck the rubber band from it and stick the rest in the recycling bin. The wheelie bins are located just near the letter box, so it's a convenient operation. Last week, keen for information about the then upcoming local election, I actually took the paper inside and had a browse.

You learn all kinds of things if you just look. For example, I would not have known that Milton Bowl was about to close had I not opened the rag. Milton Bowl is a classic old bowling alley, so I decided that we'd trot along this weekend to at least take a few photos for posterity.



Actually, you know, Milton Bowl was pretty crap. My imagination had whipped it into some Happy Days style utopia, but in fact it's a large, drab Besser brick cell. The painting over the lanes is what had stuck in my head, possibly because the only time I've ever bowled there was late at night and drunk. At least now I'll pine a lot less once the bulldozers erase it like so much else in this city.

So we bowled today, and pathetically. I'm now nursing a hamstring and quadriceps strain after having blistered up to top score the day on 92, beating Lofty by one point.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker