23 February 2008

A Sore Point

If I were a little more narcissistic I would see a link between my comment on Cheryl's blog about Brisbane's February being unusually mild and the temperature suddenly rocketing up to 40°C. However, it's only my universe that revolves around me, so I don't presume to claim responsibility for the entire South East corner suffering such a wiltingly hot day.

After suffering 34°C yesterday I decided that we needed to make an escape to somewhere a little cooler. Keeping two babies happy and sane in a hot box of a house is a taxing day-long task -- not to mention keeping my own tantrums under control -- so we headed up to breezy Bribie to visit Little Sister and her brood, and have a sanity-saving swim.

As I sat in the public pool with my kids I watched a woman bobbing around nearby in the piss-warm water. She was covered in open sores. That's right, open sores. How strong is my faith in chlorine? And is this itch I have all over my body anything to be concerned about? Thank god it's only going to be 31°C tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH! How nasty! Open sores always make me think of the Cook in The Canterbury Tales and his "weeping ulcer" -- oh, and now I'll be cooking at home for the next week or two until I can forget that image, too.

eXTReMe Tracker