What on earth could possibly have kept me from updating for such a long time? What indeed.
Edie and Oscar arrived as planned on the 17th, and life since then has been a fog of breasts, shitty nappies and milk sick. My life is now focussed on my ability to produce a dairy product, not something I'd ever really considered before.
The little 'uns are healthy and lovely, and Dad and I are learning to be incredibly grateful for sleep in blocks of four hours or more. Edie was born with her eyes open and staring, and continues to take it all in at every opportunity. Oscar came out wailing and with his eyes clenched shut. He's a bit of a delicate flower, sensitive to loud noises and bright lights. Can't blame him, really; I wanted to scream in the surgery, too.
It's nice to (kind of) have my body back. The sheer ease of movement post-belly is a truly wonderful thing. Moving around with a wriggling baby attached to your leaking chest has its own challenges, though. Currently typing this with Oscar on my lap; also a little difficult.
One thing I was not so aware of is how novel people find twins. When we take them out in the pram, something we do every other day, it's rare that we get more than a few metres before someone stops us for interrogation. Are they twins? How old are they? Are they identical? Should you have them out at that age? Do you have twins in your family? The answer to all of these questions is Please just sod off. Please. You're the fourth person to ask me that in the past ten minutes, and you're really trying my patience. I only had three hours sleep last night. Step aside immediately or I may not be responsible for my actions. I know people are trying to be nice. Sometimes. But it's still trying.
10 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Well, at least it's patently obvious that your sense of humour survives, and is even flourishing. People who stop parents to interrogate them should be fined, or jailed. I mean, what makes them think they're entitled to do this? I say, keep some dirty diapers in a sealed bag, and if they stop you, take one out, hand it to them, and then proceed on your way.
Even with one kid, we got stopped and questioned... and all that advice you were getting before they were born? Well, expect it to triple.
Really happy to see them out in the world. And to see that you can type with one attached to you (I did that too, often at 3 a.m.)
Congrats on the twins. Double the fun!
I like people who touch pregnant women's bellies. It's like "WTF! Can I get a handful of your body parts, too?"
Until like Age 2, Alice was mistaken by women as a boy. They'd say, "How old is he?" I'd think: "You're a woman! How can you not default gender ambiguity in favor of your gender?"
So I'd reply, "Sir: she is 16 months old."
Tim, your suggested strategy got a big thumbs-up in this house, and will be implemented immediately. Well done, you.
Mike, I didn't actually get much of the public belly rubbing, which I was a little disappointed in because I'd planned a strategy: in line with your comment, I'd planned to just start rubbing their belly in return.
Cheryl, the advice has started coming, but more along the lines of criticism: Aren't they too young to be out? Aren't they wrapped up too much? Should she be crying like that? Are you sure they're getting enough milk? If only the public concern extended to coming over to do our laundry or clean our bathroom.
Post a Comment