We got the big news yesterday: Betty and Bob are scheduled to enter this world via caesarean at 10.30am on the 17th of April. Less than two weeks away!
And they tell me that there'll be two babies for us to take home at the end of all that. Because that's the thing: despite having months to come to grips with that idea, the layers of disbelief are still falling away, one by one. I'm guessing it won't be until they hand them over that I'll finally say, Holy crap, you mean these are mine? Forever? What the hell are you saying? Being given a date was rather sobering.
So, the knife. Over the past few weeks the two of them have been very acrobatic indeed, resulting in some major jolting and wriggling, and some very bizarre (and painful) belly shapes. Turns out that Bob, previously lying sideways, has now decided that breech is the go after all. And they've completely swapped sides. You wouldn't think that there was room to scratch yourself in there, but they've wriggled and fiddled and somehow made the switch. It explains a lot! But as a first birth, both twins breech is just not considered safe to attempt naturally, so slicey-slice it is.
We landed ourselves a very good doctor at the hospital yesterday who gave an an entire hour of her time to explain everything and answer our questions, and we're both satisfied with her reasoning for both the method and timing of the delivery. The 17th will be 38 weeks 4 days.
So we now have two weeks minus a bit to get unpacked and arranged at this new house, wash all the baby things we've been given, pick up the baby things we're missing, arrange for a dog-sitter for delivery day and after, buy a new fridge (ours died in the move, annoyingly), finish what we both need to do at our respective workplaces, and, and, and.... *phew* We're hoping to be all done by the weekend prior so that we can have one last grown-ups weekend, meaning dinners, movies and so on. That's the plan, anyway.
5 April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ooOOoo... a date! A date that seems insanely close! Ah, but you're a clever girl... you'll get it all done. And what you don't get done won't matter at all (though I would recommend getting the new fridge) by the time the bundles are outside the womb.
I have set my Palm Pilot to go off at 4:30 a.m. on Monday the 16th. I will -- of course -- dance around the apartment singing happy birthday at that time. I mean, I do it from time to time anyway, so at last I'll have a reason to.
Well, 4.30am is probably more exciting, but I think that 5.30pm is a little more appropriate. Appreciate the thought, though. ;) 10.30am is when we're due to arrive. Slicey-dicey is a little after that, perhaps an hour or so.
Post a Comment