29 March 2007

Belly Update

Perhaps I should change the name of this blog to "Gestational Safari". Or maybe "Cervical Safari" would be better feminista cred. Regardless, a belly update.

Betty and Bob are still in residence in my ever-wearier body. And they're either having a cracking time in there, or anxious to get out, if the bouncing and wriggling is anything to go by. I mentioned their movement last time; now it's even stronger. My regular chair is one of those sprung plywood framed jobs. It moves around with every body shift. Now I can be sitting perfectly still and the squealers' movements will actually set the chair bouncing about noticably. It's quite remarkable.

Once we've finished moving house (more on that later) I'll post a picture of said belly. It's really very impressive. When I see myself in the mirror I find it hard to believe that my body has done what it has. I've put on 30kg during this pregnancy, which takes me up to 98kg, 2kg more than my 6'8" partner. It's a lot for a 5'7" frame to take. No wonder my joints are starting to complain.

Having said all that, things are still going swimmingly, really. I'm tired and riddled with aches but healthy and happy, and as a friend pointed out recently, at least while they're still in there they're quiet and need no attention. Make no mistake, I'm grateful for every day's reprieve I get on that count.

So, the house move. As of Saturday I'll be a resident of The Gap, tucked in the foothills of Mt Coot-tha and Mt Nebo. (Or is that Mt Glorious? I always get them confused.) I've always been a south-sider, so it's a bit of a novelty being so far from the familiar. The house itself... well, it's like your Nana's house, which is good and bad. It does suit our decor, that's for sure. It even comes with a concrete flamingo in the back yard, which will be getting a coat of pink paint very shortly. With southerners swarming in to south-east Queensland like mice into a silo, housing is at a premium right now, so I'm incredibly grateful to have found it at all. We've been searching on and off for months now, and it was starting to seem like a race between finding a place and the babies arriving. Urgh, it's been a stress I could do without. So once we've finished moving in this weekend, and we've unpacked at least all the essential boxes, Betty and Bob can come at their leisure. And at that point we'll be significantly happier.

They're officially due on 3 May, which I find mysterious. That's 40 weeks, but twins are considered full term at 38. Despite this the medicos are clinging to the May date, but always with the twins-come-earlier caveat. So mid-April seems to be the best guess. I'll keep you posted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a slightly different note, a few weeks ago when Lofty and I were out at Mitchelton to look at a potential house, we were checking out the facilities nearby. As we approached the corner of the street he pointed out a well-known cake shop with the comment, "The Cheesecock Shape's nice and close". Whoops. Over to you, Uncle Sigmund.

4 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

Well now ...The Gap, you say? How has this area managed to avoid a Trade Mark lawsuit for this long? Is there a by-law requiring that Khakis™ be worn at all times, at least?

I'm glad that you've finally found a place to nest before the arrival of the dynamic duo into the world of air-breathers.

And, for the sake of pure interest, the empty lot in Cook St. Village now sports a giant Cheesecock Shape, as part of the developer's agreement with the city. It's exepcted to attract significant numbers of tourists as part of Victoria's new sexy tourism campaign. If all goes well, there's talk of adding a Marzipan Pudenda Figure to the Legislature lawn.

Mrs Robot said...

Ah yes, I heard about the tourism campaign and -- forgive me -- laughed out loud. But possibly not in the manner intended. The Cheesecock Shapes are very popular here; I've never been into one myself, though. I can only imagine that the Cook St one will add a little je ne sais quoi to the place, as they say they do everywhere. Or perhaps that's just a phallussy.

Unknown said...

Pleased to get an update! Glad you're well.. and rest assured, I was well past the 98kg mark, two inches shorter than you, and one baby fewer being carried. Mind you... my hip's not the same. Hah.

Seriously, you sound like you are keeping your sense of humour about the whole experience, which is key. Though I expect a good Cheesecock Shape would help things along. Might even speed labour, I hear.

OTOH, that is a great name for a punk band... better go register the web address now....

Mrs Robot said...

Hey, you're right, it would be a great band name. I realised recently that I've stopped spotting potential band names in recent years, and replaced it with blog name spotting. How times change.

Off to post the latest news now...

eXTReMe Tracker