I had an experience today that made me take stock. We dropped in on some friends in Beaudesert; I say 'friends', but actually they're more friends of Little Sister. I don't know them that well. As we sat drinking our coffee, the brother of the two gave us directions to where we might find something we were looking for. His accent was so thick I could only pick out every other word, making the instructions totally useless. Australia being a nation of migrants, this was not an unfamiliar experience. What made it novel was that the accent was Australian.
It's been so long since I've been around hardcore bogans that my ear is obviously well out of tune. It's an accent I more or less grew up with, having spent a good slice of my upbringing in a flan-shirted bogan/farming patch of dirt. I've been mixing with well-educated nouveau-snob inner-city folk for longer than I realised.
22 April 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment