4 February 2006

New World Order

Having been raised in a democracy I had long been of the unshakeable belief that it was The Only Way. The Right Way. This conviction has been substantially eroded over recent years and so now, if it's all the same to you, I've overthrown the goverment and installed myself as benevolent dictator. I'm sure you'll be much happier for it.

There will, of course, be a few minor adjustments to be made. You should receive in the mail a handy fridge magnet outlining the changes within the next week. Please keep your magnet in a prominent place where all members of your household can see it -- ignorance of the new laws will not protect you from prosecution, I'm afraid.

Below is the first section of new laws, with more to follow.

1. Anyone using powertools on weekends will have one digit sawn off for each hour before 10am that noise commenced. Should powertools cause dust to blow across a neighbouring yard, particularly if that neighbour has washing on the line, the perpetrator shall be required to injest one cup of dust. No drinks shall be issued.

2. Anyone found in possession of a leafblower shall be shot on site. No discussion shall be entered into on this matter.

3. If a person has a door held open for them, or an elevator held, and they fail to acknowledge or thank the person affording them this courtesy, the perpetrator shall be required to present themselves for tattooing. The words RUDE IGNORANT BASTARD shall be tattooed on their forehead with the compasses from a Kent set and a biro ink/vinegar mix. Their head shall then be shaved.

4. Ambient music in public places such as shopping centres or outdoor malls is as banned as banned can be. Playing of music by a list of proscribed "artists" shall be punished by removal of teeth by pliers. This list is available upon application. In addition, any establishment playing music at a volume prohibiting conversation at a normal level shall be required to issue their patrons with unlimited food and drinks, free of charge. The manager shall then be forced to listen to 8 hours of loud polka music, with hourly flogging with electrical cables for the duration.

5. Any passengers left waiting for a bus for more than ten minutes past the timetabled arrival shall be issued with a voucher for lunch to the value of $25, redeemable at the venue of their choosing. The driver shall apologise to each passenger for the inconvenience as they board.

6. Any shoe designer producing footwear that is painful, uncomfortable, dangerous or in any other way decreed by me to be silly shall have emotionally disturbed dogs set upon them. The perpetrator shall have the opportunity to evade these dogs, but must do so in the offending shoes on a slippery sloping surface whilst wearing a tight knee-length skirt.

7. Atmospheric temperatures exceeding 30'C shall no longer be permitted.

7 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

Rough week, Z?

Unknown said...

Oh, I am right there with you on number 7. I would also suggest nothing below 4'C either.

Mrs Robot said...

Tim: Nah, not particularly, just time for some social spring cleaning and, hell, when isn't a good time for revolution?

Cheryl: This law may be revised to dictate the number of days per year that 25+ is permissible, and how many in succession. The odd one is OK, but day after day after day after day....

Would you like to become my Minister for Weather?

And I'll thank you two to address me in a manner in keeping with my new position, thank you.

Tim Bailey said...

A thousand pardons, Your Munificence. Or is it First Citizen?

Mrs Robot said...

Ooh! Your Munificence! That has a certain charm. First Citizen... not without its merits either, and has a certain creepy 1984-ness about it. Despite my republican (small 'r') leanings, I admit to a weakness for pompous regal titles. I'm undecided. Perhaps a popular vote, just to keep the people feeling as though they have a say. Much like the governmental style of my predecessor, now I think about it.

Fatuous One said...

About no.5 - I see it's not just me. Buses have been crazy lately. Why do they insist on putting out timetables? I think you were a bit hard on the drivers - they tend to apologise anyway, which all slows the process down even further.... Why not think of a torture for the people who make timetables that drivers can't possibly meet. And something about the traffic congestion.... four wheel drive buses that go over the top of the other traffic? May need to reinforce the roofs of cars, and I guess we can lose a few convertible drivers .... May I work in the idea department - if they don't work they will at least be amusing ....

No. 6 - I'm with you all the way.

Mrs Robot said...

You're quite right, I'm sure it is the timetabling that is to blame. The route I take to work is never on time, ever. Why do they persist with a schedule that so clearly doesn't work?

In my experience, though, the drivers often tend to be a bit hostile and defensive by the time they get to my stop; I guess it's from having a stream of people trooping on saying, "You're late!", which I grant you must get wearing. All I want is a little apology, despite that, a little salve for my sun-frazzled temper. And I'll damn well get it, or they'll be up against the wall!

eXTReMe Tracker