6 January 2006

We Apologise For This Break In Transmission

As the more astute among you may have gathered, Suburban Safari is currently on summer holidays.

The seasonal cavort around the big red continent has taken in some regional Queensland beach and the always-fabulous Melbourne, and has brought yours truly into welcome contact with some long-distant friends for the first time in... oh, ages. Such is Festivas.

For those for whom this is relevant, I've caught up with Princesses Maria, Fiona and Pauline and Mr T; they're all in the pink.

My Victoria -- the other Victoria -- trip has been infinitely enhanced by the purchase of The Treasure Hunter's Guide to Melbourne, which, for the paltry investment of $19.95, gives reviews and information on over 300 op shops, second hand stores and markets across the city. It really is a sensational effort, and I'd strongly urge every moccas-wearer or regular visitor to complete their life and that of those around them with a copy.

My op shopping treasures have been satisfying enough, with two prize items in the haul. The first is a set of bellows with a steer's head painted on one side, and the word "barbecue" written above. The other a pair of the most astonishingly excellent/hideous platform slip-ons (or is that "slip-offs"? Time will tell.) that bring my height in at 6'.

Enough for now. Look out for the upcoming slide night -- stay well until then.

3 comments:

Tim Bailey said...

Melbourne... that's in the south, right? Is it anywhere near Jile, Tasmania? I suppose there must be a lot of poverty there if they have 300+ Sally Anns. And how could anyone in Aus get along without a barbie-bellows? I guess the owner must have thrown on one prawn too many.

(See, I'm learning!)

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying the sun down there. We have had 21 days of rain! (Apparently, that was "newsworthy" today.) Have to say I was morbidly releived when I clicked on the headline about the shark-attack to find that the victim was 21 (and not you).

Mrs Robot said...

Melbourne south? It's all bloody south here, you sausage! But yes, relative to my regular location, it is indeed south. (And pronounced "MEL-b'n".)

The op shop thing doesn't really relate to poverty as such in this country; every town or suburb has a couple. I guess it's just the done thing here. A civilised populus demands such life-enhancing diversion.

The barbie bellows, I have to tell you, is an extremely Un-Australian item. Frankly, I'm not sure that I was wise to place word of it here on the blog, what with our new sedition laws and all.

Re: the shark attack. Rather close to home, it was. Stradbroke Island is just off Brisbane, and I've swum there several times myself. The sister of a friend was witness to the whole nasty event. Three sharks involved, apparently. Swim between the flags would be Zézette's advice this summer.

Incidentally, Tim, it took until I'd finished writing all of the above before I got the Jile, Tas. gag. Hey, I just got off a flight so I'm dulled by bad food and free alcohol. Qantas 737-800, by the way. :)

eXTReMe Tracker