26 August 2005

Blessed Are The Sweet of Tooth

I've always been more than a little sceptical when I read about miracles. And I've always been more than a little excited by bowling shoes.

Many years ago I had a pair of ex-rental bowling shoes. I loved them. They were red, black and white and had the size -- 7-- stitched into the heel. They were unusual, they were comfortable, they were a conversation starter and they were damn cool.

Time rolls on, and the shoes and I parted company. I've missed them. A few months ago while browsing eBay it occurred to me that if I could get another pair of this funky footwear, eBay would surely be the place, so every couple of days an email hits my inbox telling me when another pair has been listed. They're never the right ones, though; too big, too small, too dull, too modern. I'd all but given up.

Fast forward to today. The third day of a headache that flirted on the edges of migraine shuffled me out of work early, but I decided to swing by Reverse Garbage on the way home to pick up a few supplies. I planned to hop off the bus at the stop outside the Malay take away nearby, where I thought I might get a spicy midday bite and torture the staff with my own special interpretation of Indo-Malay conversation, but instead found that a vintage clothing trader had moved into the store since I'd last visited. I stepped in to inspect.

Browsing the racks of infinite coolness, I turned to the chap behind the counter and said, "Do you ever get bowling sh..." as my eyes fell on two perfect pairs. "Hey, I used to have a pair with a seven..." as I turned one shoe over to reveal that number on the heel.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


It was bizarre. They were the very image of my much-loved and long-lost pair. A mere $25 dollars lighter, I skipped down to Reverse Garbage where I found, priced at $1, an as-new video of a film I'd -- just a week ago -- decided to track down, and some leather offcuts I'd been hoping to find for attaching handles to bags. They were remarkably fortuitous events. One could even say...miraculous.

Friends, it's time to reveal the initial find of the day: at the office this morning, while browsing a bowl of assorted sweets I happened upon an unusual specimen, one that looked eerily familiar...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After all these long years envying those rare individuals who sit down to dinner and find Jesus gazing up from their fish fingers, finally my time has come. I have been touched, smiled upon benevolently from above. I am the blessed recipient of the Holy Virgin as she has appeared to me in gelatinous form, and miracles have followed where I've carried her in my pocket.

I sent a gushing text to Mr T, whose sage reply was, "I've got two words to say to you,
Zézette: e. Bay."

Any suggestions on a starting price?

5 comments:

miss wendy said...

The best thing about 'Malcolm' is the soundtrack- Penguin cafe....I have it somewhere on tape ..I will be looking for it now!- well done you

Mrs Robot said...

Yes! I'd forgotten that bit! Penguin Cafe Orchestra did the soundtrack to a trip to Melbourne I had during the 91/92 summer. Ah, fond memories! I've yet to give the video a look, so I'll be giving it a good listen now, too.

Another reason I'm fond of the movie is that it was filmed in Richmond before it was renovated beyond recognition. That is, while the people who made it what it was could still afford to live there. A good friend of mine grew up in Richmond, and as we were driving around looking at the houses he lived in I had flashbacks to the flick. From memory, it captures those innercity areas of Melbourne well. But memory isn't always that reliable. I'll report once I've seen it.

Unknown said...

Regarding the Gummy Virgin (heeheehee that sounds waaay too amusing), I am reminded by Homer's "Gummy de Milo" incident... (Sweeeet, sweeet candy!)

Miss Abby said...

Oh My Gawd!!!!!
How fabo is that.
We must do a half day of "Op Shopping" for Staff Developement, what a better way to spend time together.
Now I've got the urge.....Have to pop up the road to Vinnies.
See Ya
Kisses

Mrs Robot said...

Hey, that's a great idea, Abs! We can allocate a proportion of the budget for the task and decorate our offices! Magnificent!

eXTReMe Tracker